Calling the vintage Fender Strat experts!

kentuckyklira

• Members

They aren't terribly difficult to fake really as there's sod all distinctive about them

Indeed so; it's easy enough to get pots with 60's codes, old solder is easy to fake, paint jobs not so easy but do-able to the point where experts come to rely on infallible techniques like 'instinct' to do the appraisal!

• Members

They aren't terribly difficult to fake really as there's sod all distinctive about them

Yeah, they're only Fenders after all I suppose. Seriously I could probably tell by the sound, the feel and the resonance in the wood but not by looking from a distance or by looking at pics and even then I wouldn't be totally sure.

I tell you Sean, I've seen fakes that would fool Phil Harris, I kid you not and they are everywhere, even in famous vintage guitar shops.

• Members

I was screwed on a fake 62 Strat over a year ago. I do not consider myself to be an expert but I claim a lot of knowledge when it comes to vintage Fenders. Everything was perfect, Neck stamp, tuners, clay dots, correct decal w 3 pat. no's on headstock, Pat.pend.-stamped saddles, original nitro oly white w undercoat and nail holes, 'untouched' solder w era correct pots (dates and maker) etc. etc. Deal of a lifetime? Bought it, took it to a real expert, he was fooled too for quite a while complimenting me on the score until......well.....he found out that the thread for the truss rod bolt was metric...{censored}ing metric...on a preCBS Strat!!! Yeah right! it turned out it was a early JV series MIJ reissue Strat made to look like a '62. Seller was AWOL, I was short EUR 2500.-. I put the thing back in the (aftermarket) case, away in a closet and have not looked at it ever since.

If the Strat shown in the OP is for sale, I strongly recommend taking it to an reputable expert first. If you need an adress in Germany, pm me.

• Members

I read that the tortoise pickguard layer shrinks on old guitars and that was a way to tell if it was really old.

By the way, you spent 2500 euros on a '62 strat and you thought it was real?

If someone sold you a diamond ring for a dime, I bet that ring isn't worth ten cents.

• Members

I read that the tortoise pickguard layer shrinks on old guitars and that was a way to tell if it was really old.

By the way, you spent 2500 euros on a '62 strat and you thought it was real?

If someone sold you a diamond ring for a dime, I bet that ring isn't worth ten cents.

I am not gonna elaborate on the circumstances, short version only: it seemed to be the equivalent to the lucky pawn shop or lawn sale find. To answer your question: Yes, and again, I know vintage Strats, I collect, buy and sell guitars, especially Strats for almost 25 years and I know the values, I was absolutely certain I had the deal of a lifetime.

• Members

To answer your question: Yes, and again, I know vintage Strats, I collect, buy and sell guitars, especially Strats for almost 25 years and I know the values, I was absolutely certain I had the deal of a lifetime.

I have played a couple real vintage pieces and I thought they were very different from my (now-pretty old) re-issue. However, in America, the only way we can tell quality of an item is how much it costs. ;)

• Members

I was screwed on a fake 62 Strat over a year ago. I do not consider myself to be an expert but I claim a lot of knowledge when it comes to vintage Fenders. Everything was perfect, Neck stamp, tuners, clay dots, correct decal w 3 pat. no's on headstock, Pat.pend.-stamped saddles, original nitro oly white w undercoat and nail holes, 'untouched' solder w era correct pots (dates and maker) etc. etc. Deal of a lifetime? Bought it, took it to a real expert, he was fooled too for quite a while complimenting me on the score until......well.....he found out that the thread for the truss rod bolt was metric...{censored}ing metric...on a preCBS Strat!!! Yeah right! it turned out it was a early JV series MIJ reissue Strat made to look like a '62. Seller was AWOL, I was short EUR 2500.-. I put the thing back in the (aftermarket) case, away in a closet and have not looked at it ever since.

If the Strat shown in the OP is for sale, I strongly recommend taking it to an reputable expert first. If you need an adress in Germany, pm me.

What kind of JV was it? ST85 or 115 hopefully. So maybe you got ripped off on it but if its a JV chances are its a pretty friggin nice guitar in its own right. Don't forget that at one point fender USA couldn't even make a guitar good enough to compete with that one, so all that was sold in the US was Japanese fenders. And the factory that made those tore apart original fenders to copy them right.

Take that {censored}er out of the closet and play it. You might just be surprised how nice it is.

Archived