New Guitar Build In Progress

larryguitar

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Got it fretted and started the finishing. Had all the grain filled before I decided I liked the ash just as it was, so I removed the filler and began spraying clear nitro.

Not flat sanded and polished yet-

Body.jpg

Back-1.jpg

Got a nice surprise with the neck-some curl started showing as the carve proceeded-

Neck.jpg

HeadstockBack-1.jpg

Starting to bury the logo-

Logo.jpg

• Members

Well, got it sanded and polished, set the bridge, made the nut and installed the tuners. Plays very well, if I say so myself.

I didn't fill the grain, and it's done in nitro lacquer, so I'm expecting the finish to sink into the pores in a week or so, and give it an even more 'woody' look. Just seems to suit this piece of ash, IMHO.

Just have to do the electronics, make the back plate (I abhor that part-put it off as long as possible, usually) make the truss rod cover, oil the board and she'll be ready to rock.

P1010001-2.jpg

P1010003-2.jpg

P1010002-2.jpg

P1010011.jpg

• Members

Nice! I have always wanted to build a guitar. I just have rough carpentry skills. Real rough. I know I could have warmoth, or someone make it for me, but I want to do it from scratch.

Great Job!

• Members
Hard maple will look too much like the ash, the alu will show some continuity from the bridge.......is that a wrapover Tone-Pros?

Good point-so you're thinking chrome-ish looking aluminum. Hmmmm...

It's a $10 bridge I got off Ebay-works nice. The pickups are a Dimarzio Air Norton in the bridge (sounds good, but too narrowly spaced :( ) and an older Ibanez in the neck. I figured it would give me a starting off point to figure out what I wanted to eventually get.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Archived