help me *floyd rose*

Swat Man

• Members

i just bought a used kramer off of musicians friend. i get it and the floyd is kinda stiff when pushing it up or down for dive bombs. it also is not really staying in tune. can someone show me where to look for setting up a floyd rose??? i took off the locking nuts, tuned all to standard and locked em back up but its still having tuning issues, my guess is im doing it wrong lol

• Members

There are some great links in the "sticky" section of the forum here for setting up FR trems.

Does yours have a pre-locking nut OFR, or a standard double-locking FR?

I have both (original edge trem on my Ibanez, and on my Kramer Striker) and could probably help you more if you posted up some pics. Take one of the bridge float, i.e. how the trem is at rest with the horizontal plane of the guitar, and then one of the springs in the block cavity in back.

Chances are if it feels that stiff you have 4-5 springs on that thing where you really only need 3.

So post up some pics and we'll try to provide all the help we can. :thu:

--PB

• Members

its a kramer striker. i fixed the issues, but the action is EXTREMELY high. so high that im unable to tap past the 12th fret. i read to turn the 2 little screws clock wise just under the two E strings, however all that did was lock the floyd rose so that i cant push the whammy down to make the notes flat.

• Members

those 2 screws you turned are for the bridge height adjustment (action) so if turning them locked the bridge so you can't use the whammy bar then something is wrong. also, you should never adjust those screws with string tension on the bridge as it will strip off some material from both the screw posts and the bridge knife edge and you will have tuning stability issues.

• Members

Looks to me like you've got WAY too much relief in that neck. I hope you don't have a broken trussrod. First thing you'll need to do is tighten up the rod. I'd start by taking off the strings and adjust the rod until the neck is flat or even slightly bowed. Then restring and adjust the bridge from there. If you're action is still high after that, you may need to shim the neck.

• Members

You could start a mailing list and send the guitar around to the forumites that are on the "list" and we could all add our own tweeking to the guitar. By the time you got it back it would play like the sweetest axe of all time. I will start by jacking the truss rod for ya, then donnievaz can shim the neck etc. it is called community.

Archived