Serious Intonation Problems

wolfspider

• Members

Hey there!

My Ibanez Rg 570 has serious intonation problems, i can get the 4th, 5th and 6th strings in tune but the other 3 strings always sound like 1/2 step high (sometimes more) when i pass the 12th fret.:mad:

would i fix this problem If i adjust the truss rod? or i need to take it to an expert? :cry:

-Spider-

• Members

Are the bridge saddles adjusted to their limits? You can't increase the scale length with them?

Yes actualy i used to have the action a little bit higher than normal (factory set up) so i took it to the shop and they lower the action to a very comfortable height, but then the problem started.

• Members

Yes actualy i used to have the action a little bit higher than normal (factory set up) so i took it to the shop and they lower the action to a very comfortable height, but then the problem started.

Well that sucks. Normally I'd advise lowering the action if the saddles are all the way back but it seems that has been done already.

Maybe a lighter gauge of string might help - but I think there's something else going on that has me baffled.

• Members

Maybe have the intonation set by a tech if you're not 100% on doing it yourself?

M

Yes i think that would be the best, but i want to know if the truss rod could be the problem, you know, the tech is not the most honest person in town.

• Members
Are you sure your intonation is actually setup correctly?

It sounds like if it was, you wouldn't get such out of tune tones from above the 12th fret.

Yes i took it to the shop for a complete set up, sounds great when you play chords or anything under the 12th fret, but it's always out of tune when you play above.

• Members

what strings are on it? are they new? and is the action high in the center of the neck (12th fret)?

i doubt its a half step out, thats quite a lot.

Yes, new strings, and nope it's not high in the center,that's what worry me out, it is pretty noticable.

• Members
Well that sucks. Normally I'd advise lowering the action if the saddles are all the way back but it seems that has been done already.

Maybe a lighter gauge of string might help - but I think there's something else going on that has me baffled.

Maybe the frets are uneven :idk:

• Members

do the intonation yourself.

if you dont know how, read up on it. it takes 5 minutes to learn how to do it, and its not difficult to do, in general.

if there is somehting really unusual or broken about your guitar at least you will know that its not just intonation.

you can read up on setting neck relief as well. its a little more tricky imho, but it's not brain surgery either.

but start with intonation. its easy.

• Members

Im thinking he meant forward/backward adjustment. Not so much the height.

Take a guitar tuner and check the open string. Tune it to proper pitch. Then go down to the 12th fret and check. If its sharp you need to move the saddle AWAY from the nut. If its flat bring it closer to the nut....its VERY easy after a bit......OH make sure you have the height of the saddles and the rod adjusted to where you want it FIRST.

• Members

Scratch my previous post and take it back to the {censored}ers that adjusted the height but didnt adjust the intonation accordingly.....then never go there again. No excuse for that

Archived