my nut is messed up

wallakoala

• Members

I inherited a really nice 1990 american strat a while ago, and so far its been great. however, lately I've been worried because the past 2 strings i've broken have been the A string. I usually never break strings. My A string broke again today, and just like last time, the string didn't actually snap. It just kinda uncoiled itself near the bridge. I took a look at the nut and I noticed that It was really dirty. I think I can explain the dirt though. My hands sweat like an ungodly amount while playing guitar, and therefore a large amount of gunk and rust makes its way onto my strings. Then, the vibrating strings somehow move the gunk down the strings, all the way to the nut where it stops. There is a large buildup of gunk at the nut, and after my string broke I saw that there was a lot in the slot.

I don't know if the dirty nut is related to the breaking A strings, but it seems like a likely explanation. What should I do about this?

• Members

it's the nut^^ from what you've said, I don't think it's the grime (which make it slip through the nut easier) i'm guessing the slot is cut wrong, instead of being rounded, it's a sharp "V" which pinche's the string to much.

Are you implying that because the nut doesn't allow the string to move freely, that there is more stress at the other end of the string where it is being plucked? (serious question)

• Members

If it's breaking at the bridge, you mean the saddle, not the nut.... correct?

(The nut is on the headstock part of the guitar)

If it's unwinding at the saddle, check the saddle & even the hole in the bridge where the sring comes through (under the saddle) sometimes there will be a small burr or rough edge of chrome there that can cause that.

Now, if your nut was busting G strings, we would all just be applauding!

• Members

sorry if I wasn't clear. It did indeed break (well it didn't actually snap, it just uncoiled. the string was still intact) at the bridge. I was thinking that if the nut was messed up it could be possible that there could be effects of this seen at the bridge, but I really don't know that much about this.

• Members

LS made a good point, if the string is bidning at the nut... it might not be getting the relief it needs at the bridge while bending. Never really thought about that. Either way.... I'd still check out the saddle & really look at the hole where the string comes through the bridge too. If there is any type of sharp edge on that hole, or the back of the saddle, it will surely cause some damage.

• Members

If you're breaking strings at the bridge, it's not the nut. When you say "near the bridge", exactly where are you talking about? I have an American Deluxe that would break strings regularly at the bridge, and it turned out that the strings were rubbing the edge of the trem right where the strings go into the body.

Out came the Dremel, and with a little judicious removal of metal and some polishing, no more busted strings.

• Members

If you're breaking strings at the bridge, it's not the nut. When you say "near the bridge", exactly where are you talking about? I have an American Deluxe that would break strings regularly at the bridge, and it turned out that the strings were rubbing the edge of the trem right where the strings go into the body.

Out came the Dremel, and with a little judicious removal of metal and some polishing, no more busted strings.

the string did not actually snap though. both times, it just unwound. like, you know how the lowest 3 strings are winded, it just kinda unwound close to the bridge. i would think this is due to the wrong amount of tension in the wrong places

• Members

the string did not actually snap though. both times, it just unwound. like, you know how the lowest 3 strings are winded, it just kinda unwound close to the bridge. i would think this is due to the wrong amount of tension in the wrong places

The strings are designed to handle tension. If it's the same string each time. I would take that saddle off & check the hole in the bridge where the string comes through. You will probably find a sharp edge, or even a burr where the chrome plating is jagged, or if it's an older guitar, maybe even a spot of rust.

This is the first place to look. Clean that out & smooth it over. Either w/ a dremel like the OP said, or even just a small round file will do it. Get that hole smooth first & then see if it continues breaking strings.

• Members

Look for sharp edges where the string sits in the saddle or goes into the body of the trem. Something is rubbing the string and causing it to unwind.

My money is the area where the string goes into the body of the trem. That's where I had my problem.

Archived