OT:Poll: Ecological Disasters In Your Lifetime?

• Members

There's a lot of very, very troubling news and info about global warming and the effects thereof.

What strikes me as strange is that the media focus is almost totally on the purely physical "fallout" - higher temperatures, encroaching deserts, higher sea levels, species displacement, disease, etc.

Which is all bad enough in and of itself, for sure.

But what about the upsetting of national economies? Massive emigration from afflicted areas? Revolutionary anger and retribution against standing governments and responsible industries/corporations? Wars (hot or cold, covert or overt) between countries and/or alliances that result from renegade societies that refuse to make economic sacrifices for the good of the ecology?

It seems to me that the social and political realms could be thrown into horrible chaos when/if ecological damage is at only a fraction of any physical "doomsday" proportions.

On the other hand, I grew up in the shadow of the Cold War which was a very chilling shadow indeed. And the fears and unthinkable scenarios of disaster that haunted the imagination of my generation did not turn out to actually occur. Well, maybe the fears had something to do with turning away the Grim Reaper from taking a bumper crop, at least for a while.

Some days I'm scared, some days I'm not. Everyday I wonder, 'tho....

nat whilk ii

• Members

Yeah, we've pretty well shat in the punch bowl, ecologically speaking. Japanese people cannot even eat sushi derived from their own native waters anymore.

Humans will have to devise ways of re-planting "scorched" green areas on earth, and how to de-salinate ocean water cheaply and efficiently.

Texas is a rich, rich state, but we don't even have a Bullet Train, like Japan and France??? And our highways are congested. Texas has always been known for clean air, but now Houston and even San Antonio are getting pretty bad.

Humans are stubborn... We should've been pretty much all green by about 1985 or so, I reckon.

But we Americans love our SUV's, by damn! "Blood for Oil" is OK, after all, it turns out. We are good at burying our heads in the sand, ostrich-style.

• Members

Although it's yet to be discovered by the major players in the "green" movement or picked up by the news services - I suspect my kid's room will be named as a "Superfund" site very soon. There's definitely rampant unwanted biology going on in there - and some evidence of fusile activities! It's getting to the point that the hockey bag is amoung the better smelling things in there.

• Members

Yeah, we've pretty well shat in the punch bowl, ecologically speaking.

But we Americans love our SUV's, by damn! "Blood for Oil"
is
OK, after all, it turns out. We are good at burying our heads in the sand, ostrich-style.

Yep..

"Support Our Troops... So I Can Keep Driving this 8-ton Monster"

(from a Simpsons episode):

It's 30 feet long and 2 lanes wide,

65 tons of American Pride,

Canyonaro!

Archived