No NGD for me yet...

Jkater

• Members

One strange news: I got my american standard strat in olympic white yesterday. The problem is that it is ALMOST olympic white... In places, and notably on the upper edge (that part of the guitar that we stare at when we play), is the white paint so thin that I see the green (looks green to me) undercoat seeing through. quite ugly and not what I had expected from a US Fender. Also the trem was half off its hooks as I opened the case. The thing was all crooked with one side up with the tension of the strings. Must have been put wrong at the factory because it simply can't jump out by itself, the tension of the strings being there. I'm sending it back and might go with my first hunch of getting a MIM Classic Player at half the price. :rolleyes:

Question that might be trivial at this point: Is this NORMAL? :confused:

• Members

Hi,

that's to bad.

Just got my Classic Player yesterday and have to return it also (has flaws on the Fretboard and a terrible Pickguard).

Since this is the second case with mexican made guitars for me, I will order the new american standard instead. So I go the same route as you, just in reverse...

To bad the standard is more pricey here in germany.

I hope to finish my GAS in the future with a SA2200 that you already own.

Quality should not be a problem on this one...

All the best for you Birthday,

Saimon

• Members

That's definitely not normal.

I've got an '08 American Jazz Bass, and it's probably the best Jazz I've ever played. I've also got a '98 American Jazz that isn't too far behind.

I had an '05 American P bass that looked great, but was a dud in the tone department.

My Jazzes, '98 on the left, '08 on the right:

BothFull2.jpg

And my old P bass:

PBassFull.jpg

• Members

I have ordered cheaper guitars online - a mim tele for example, and it was really nice.

There is a price point I have, and I don't quite know what it is, but will know it when I see it, that I will not order something sight unseen. I would not order a MiA strat.

To answer your question, when I was Strat shopping, I tried quite a few MiA Standards and they did NOT have the problems you mentioned.

• Members

I have ordered cheaper guitars online - a mim tele for example, and it was really nice.

There is a price point I have, and I don't quite know what it is, but will know it when I see it, that I will not order something sight unseen. I would not order a MiA strat.

You know...I subconsciously have an on-line pricepoint too, I guess.

I've bought several guitars online, but I think the most expensive one has been around $450.

I've paid way more than that for a bunch of guitars and basses, but I've bought them all at local shops, either new or used, and been able to try them out beforehand.

• Members

Thanks guys!

Arkay, I don't have pics because I put it already in the box ready to be picked up. That greenish hue on the edge and the trem all f*****up right from the opening of the case didn't do anything to make me appreciate whatever else that guitar had to offer. I'll go for the CP 50. It has good specs and, at least, any small thing about the finish will be acceptable on account of it being half the price of the other one. :freak:

• Members

Better luck with the next one. Sounds a little screwed up to me to order such an expensive (to me at least) guitar and have it arrive like that. Geez, I usually change the strings and polish the guitars I trade and sell before I ship them out.

• Members

Question that might be trivial at this point: Is this NORMAL?
:confused:

yep, seems normal. Received my olympic white american standard 08 Strat yesterday. Will be going back tomorrow.
Same probleme here with the green shimmering through the white :rolleyes:

That's it for me with Fender for a while.
Now I'll order the SA 2200...

SaimOn

• Members
Hi,

that's to bad.

Just got my Classic Player yesterday and have to return it also (has flaws on the Fretboard and a terrible Pickguard).

Since this is the second case with mexican made guitars for me, I will order the new american standard instead. So I go the same route as you, just in reverse...

To bad the standard is more pricey here in germany.

All the best for you Birthday,

Saimon

Hi SaimOn,

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

I read what you wrote about the Classic player and that's interesting because I had something similar with the Classic Player 50. A totally wavy PG (rather ugly) and the frets had all some kind of broken varnish along the base of each fret by the fretboard. I must say the frets were nice and it was more of a cosmetic flaw than anything. What made it a No-deal, though, is that it would not stay in tune one second as soon as I bent or used the trem even lightly. The nut is probably the culprit but on a NEW guitar I expect better so... away that one goes too. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the SA2200. (now, if THAT ONE has flaws, then you must be jinxed).

• Members

Hi,

that's like hoping to cure a heroin addiction by shooting up.

in a good way ofcourse.

Archived