Luthier project?

voneville

• Members

This is what happens when you leave a guitar on a ship for 9 months in a constantly changing atmospheric enviroment.

project.jpg

I think the truss rod was under sized at 16" and just couldn't do the job at hand. While adjusting it gently it came to a stop and I thought it must be at the end of the threads, so I backed it out and started over. Still too much back bow but it didn't take many turns to get to that stopping point so I decided to give it a little more force (and for the record I knew this could result in catasrophic results). It was still playable, and I could have left well enough alone, but what fun would that be? So I've decided to gut the guitar, use the good parts for my current LP Jr build. If someone was inclined they could resurect this little beast.

Rest in Piece little buddy, we had some good times. Your guts will live on.

• Members

I would have gave you 100 bucks for it but you stole all the hardware and electronics off it. That guitar would be easily fixable otherwise. I'd probably replace the truss rod and just glue a new fingerboard on. Pretty simple stuff.
Tracking down pots, pickups, switch, rewiring and knobs and such is a totally different matter.
Tell you what I'll give you 50 bucks plus shipping for it now as it is....But I couldn't pay more than 30 to ship.
Really you shouldn't have gutted it like that. It's not like the parts are worth that much.

• Members

BTW I have a Vantage SG copy. All mahogany set neck that I picked up on Ebay for $200 bucks. Awesome build quality. It had coil taps on each pickup.
I added a pair of Lindy Fralin Unbuckers and it's a very versatile guitar now.
Vantage was a great 80's Japanese brand. Seek them out on Ebay cheap.
Better than Epiphones in my opinion.

• Members

While adjusting it gently it came to a stop and I thought it must be at the end of the threads, so I backed it out and started over. Still too much
back bow
but it didn't take many turns to get to that stopping point so I decided to give it a little more force

If it was a back bow you were dealing with, the truss rod should have been loosened not tightened. If a guitar has a back bow after shipping, you should loosen the truss rod a little to relieve it. Then you should start your set up & then see if the string pressure brings the neck forward again. (a little over a day or so would be normal) Then worry about tweaking up the truss rod again. But if it was a back bow, the truss rod needed to be loosened, not tightened. You might have popped that fret board off yourself by over tightening it.

• Members

it's a bolt on neck. The two bolts your seeing under pup cavity are the rear two, so it feels like a set neck.

I still have all the plastic bits. I put them in a bag while I decided what I wanted to do with the guitar. I probably shouldn't have removed the fretboard, but I wanted to know what was up with the truss rod. I figured I replace the truss rod and fretboard later.

I really like the pickups and the wiring harness is already soldered, so I'm using them for my LP Junior Project that I'm working on.

• Members

If it was a
back bow
you were dealing with, the truss rod should have been
loosened
not tightened. If a guitar has a back bow after shipping, you should loosen the truss rod a little to relieve it. Then you should start your set up & then see if the string pressure brings the neck forward again. (a little over a day or so would be normal) Then worry about tweaking up the truss rod again. But if it was a back bow, the truss rod needed to be loosened, not tightened. You might have popped that fret board off yourself by over tightening it.

Got that backwards, didn't I. The neck had too much relief and had an upwards bow that I couldn't get out with the truss rod. The problem had gotten worse and I tried to adjust the truss rod on more then one occasion.

Archived