Question for the Relic owners/admirers...

voneville

• Members

I have a Fender Cunetto "Nocaster" that is about ten years old. As far as I know it is one of the first Fender "relics". Though I have no idea how much it was "reliced" originally because the guitar was played in bars for ten years before I got it. I did not buy it because it was a "relic" but because it is a really nice guitar.

It came with a hardshell tweed case with all the paperwork and an ashtray bridge. When I take it to gigs I usually put it in a gig bag. Sometimes I use a stand. But alot of times on gigs when I go on break I put the guitar back in its case or gig bag depending on what I brought that night. But Fenders are pretty resilient. In most places I play I can usually just lean it against my amplifier and it will be okay.

• Members

Both mine are starting to "relic". I hate guitar stands. Guitars get dusty, it wrecked some spots in the finish on my old LP Studio and I have lost an acoustic to it falling out of the stand. Various other nicks and unexplainable phenomenon seem to happen whilst in the stand. I will keep a guitar out of its case for the day so I can just pick it up whenever but for the most part they are all in cases. None of the marks on my current guitars are from carelessness, just rocking out.

• Members

It was just something that occurred to me when I looked at the Joe Strummer thread. Most of us keep guitars in cases on stands, and {censored} happens, my very expensive PRS had buckle rash because I wore a punk rock belt, but they didn't call f'd up guitars relics then, so it affected my resale value accordingly.

With a new guitar that's pristine I normally am pretty bummed when it gets it's first ding/scratch/nick etc... Even on my cheap ones. I was thinking if I bought a guitar that already looked like it went through the war would I be as careful, or would I just treat the guitar like a red headed stepchild because what would another scratch/ding/dent mean on a relic. The next buyer wouldn't even know it wasn't part of the package.

It's not a troll thread, I'm really asking, if you go out and buy a super-relic are you still treating it the same way you would a comparibly valued guitar that's not a "relic". Only because I'm curious, and I think it's internesting. Certainly more interesting then discussing wether or not a relic is cool/lame/makes your schlong look bigger etc...

• Members

i treat all of my guitara in the same way whether its my 3k kh sig guitar or my 100 quid cheap guitar, i have a routine for them, i play em,wipe them down and return them to their hardcase, its the best protection,we have pets and our house really isnt big enough to leave all my gear out anyway, i always work on the theorey that i work and save dam hard for my gear so whats the point leaving them exposed to potential accicdents?

when i set up to play for a day etc, out come my stands which is convienient for me to practice and i think its better organised and reduces the risk of any problems, but i always return my guitars to its hardcase after use, no exceptions

• Members

I don't have any but my friend has a couple...he didn't buy them because they were relics, he bought them because they were the best sounding Strats at the price. The thing is, all the "damage" is cosmetic - it doesn't affect structural integrity or function. If you ignore having a case or stand,, you might actually BREAK something as opposed to chipping the finish a bit more or whatever.

• Members

I think that this is one of the more interesting relic posts here. I mean if you were to buy an exact relic'd copy of so and so's guitar, if there was an extra or out of place scratch could you ask for a discount?

Would it be considered blemished?

Would someone go ape{censored} over some actual/unrelic'd bucklerash or something?

Its just such a silly fad to me.

• Members

I have a serious question for people that own expensive relic guitars. Do you use a hardshell case and a guitar stand?

I don't own any relics (at least none that are officially "relic'ed"), but I treat all my guitars with care, no matter what they are. Sure accidents happen, but only a fool disrespects his or her tools.

• Members

Relic = intentional cosmetic damage and/or wear and tear.

Structural damage is a completely different issue and every guitar needs to be protected from structural damage with cases and stands, no matter how many cosmetic issues it has.

• Members

The only 'relic' I own is an 84 Strat that I bought in 84 and has been to hell and back with me. It looks better than any Custom Shop relic I have seen, but the difference between a Custom Shop relic and a guitar that was actually played into that shape is about $3k.

I don't drag her around anymore, but she sits in the rack just like the new ones.

• Members

I have a beater guitar that might be considered a "real relic" if I chose to sell it. It looks like crap, but it plays and sounds awesome, and it's a $150.00 Squier Tele. It's been on an overseas deployment on a navy ship. I don't have a case or gig bag for it, but when I play shows I always brought it as a backup. I literally could throw it in the trunk and it would still be fine. Tele's are good like that. It's not that I don't care about the guitar, it's just that I don't really worry about the cosmetics. The worst structual thing that happened to it happened when I moved, the fingerboard chipped, but I was able to install a roller nut on it, which prompted the bigsby conversion. The thing is, if I had spent $1000-$1,500 on a custom shop relic I don't think I would have such a casual attitude about it.

Archived