Left and Right Handed Instruments

lowendnyc

• Members

I play classical guitar and I've always played lefty. At first without the strings inverted and later inverted the strings. I taught myself to play so I guess thats the reason I play lefty. A lot of my guitarist friends though are lefty playing right, and it seems to me that most of them have better left-hand technique than most guitar players right-handed or lefty.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a left handed guitar player. No matter what they would try, it did not feel rights. Some guys told me that it is possible for a left handed person to learn right handed guitar but you would have to start like that. If you started playing with left hand first, it will be very hard.

I love being a left handed guitar player, everybody always tells me how they would like to be left handed. The only thing that sucks a lot is that it is such a pain in the bud to find LH guitars. Not only that, there like $200 or more just because it's left handed.:mad::mad:

• Members

I'm a righty, when I first picked up a guitar my inclination was to hold it lefty. I really don't think it matters which hand is dominant, its a matter of what you practice. When she's ready have your daughter learn to play righty. It'll just make it easier on her to be with the majority.

At least she'd have a better selection of instruments to pick from!

• Members

I feel for left handed pianists because most piano music is written with much easier parts for left hand than right.

The difficult thing for a right hand drummer is not moving to a left hand setup. It is switching the left hand to hi-hat and right hand to snare while keeping the right foot on bass drum and left foot on the hi-hat pedal. You don't have total independence of four limbs. For the most part you wire the left hand snare to work with the right foot bass drum, and the right hand on the hi-hat to work with the left foot on the hi-hat pedal. Change that combination and you have a nice little challenge. :)

Robert

Archived