Has anyone played a Dave Grohl 335?

Utero

• Members

Would you still like the look of it if it didn't say "Gibson" on the headstock?

And by that, I'm not saying it's ugly (taste is not really discussable, is it?) but it is a very free take on the classic 335 design that so many die-hard Gibson fans can't stand when another company does it. It certainly is a good guitar in any case.

• Members

Did the T.L. have that style Headstock? Thats really what I don't like on it. It reminds me of a old FENDER Semi-Hollow....Coronet

I don't know I just think the 335 and even smaller bodied 336 339 are just such classic designs? Hard to beat it IMO.

I could see Diamonds instead of F-Holes and Ebony instead of Maple, and Split Diamond Inlays instead of Dots or Blocks. But the Headstock from a Firebird no less? I'll Pass.

• Members

Did the T.L. have that style Headstock? Thats really what I don't like on it. It reminds me of a old FENDER Semi-Hollow....Coronet

I don't know I just think the 335 and even smaller bodied 336 339 are just such classic designs? Hard to beat it IMO.

I could see Diamonds instead of F-Holes and Ebony instead of Maple, and Split Diamond Inlays instead of Dots or Blocks. But the Headstock from a Firebird no less? I'll Pass.

Its all true and original. What is different on the DG (besides the Pelham Blue, which is a rare and classic finish) is the tail piece and of course modern 57 PUs. The one on the pic is from 1967.

C55072.JPG

• Members
Its all true and original. What is different on the DG (besides the Pelham Blue, which is a rare and classic finish) is the tail piece and of course modern 57 PUs. The one on the pic is from 1967.

C55072.JPG

Exactly like the one I used to have -- except mine had a Bigsby instead of the trapeze, which was either factory-fitted or added by a dealer in the year of manufacture (1967), because it was contemporary with the guitar.

The problem was that the combination of the Firebirdesque headstock and the Bigsby meant that it was a massive PITA finding string sets with a high E long enough to stretch all the way from the top tuning peg to the peg to the tailpiece. The only company that made one was Dean Markley, and then they changed to a more standard length (makes sense economy-wise: why should they make a string so long that most people simply clipped off the excess and threw it away?).

By the time I sold the guitar, I was down to my last spare set.

• Members

Exactly like the one I used to have -- except mine had a Bigsby instead of the trapeze, which was either factory-fitted or added by a dealer in the year of manufacture (1967), because it was contemporary with the guitar.

Thanks Charles. You having owned one saves the cool of that guitar to some degree for some who did not think it was cool to begin with. I find it funny how people get all upset about the mix of a firebirdish headstock with a semi-solid body ... I just imagine the jokes some peole at HCEG cracked in 1958 when the Explorer and the V came out ... unfortunately, the backup of the forum does not go this far, but perhaps someone has a copy ...

• Members

Would you still like the look of it if it didn't say "Gibson" on the headstock?

And by that, I'm not saying it's ugly (taste is not really discussable, is it?) but it is a very free take on the classic 335 design that so many die-hard Gibson fans can't stand when another company does it. It certainly is a good guitar in any case.

I don't own a Gibson and probably never will and I would still like the look of it if it wasn't a Gibson. In any case, I don't play the headstock so as long as the guitar is well-made the non-Gibsoness would not put me off.

Would I like if it was a chinese cheapo? Maybe, but I wouldn't like it anymore than other chinese cheapos.

• Members

I am also thinking about getting a Vegas. Some differences: The Vegas is made at Gibson USA and has a flat top; The DG-335 and the 335 in Pelham blue that I posted on the previous page are made at Gibson Custom and have a carved top. The Vegas also has only master vol and tone, whereas the DG-335 has the familiar and more flexible 2 x 2 layout.

There is also no pelham blue available at Gibson USA.

Archived