tele pickgaurd question

thrice07

• Members

I got a new arctic white MIM tele today. I changed out the bridge for a vintage 3 saddle one and I changed the pickgaurd to black. I have a problem though...

I got this pickgaurd: http://store.guitarfetish.com/19stsiplytep.html

and it doesnt have holes for the neck pickup to screw in

is there someway to connect the pickup to it or do I have to drill holes?

thanks

• Members

Yeah, you have to drill the holes.

I wanted to get a pickguard for my Tele, so I go to Guitar Center, since I figured they'd have a lot of parts, especially for a famous guitar like the Telecaster. When I get there, I ask if they have any Telecaster pickguards, and the clerk hands me the first one he saw. I noticed that the one he handed me didn't really work, since it had two extra screw holes (my neck pickup is mounted to the body).

Here's the general gist of the argument:

Me: Do you have one without these holes? My pickups are mounted to the body.

Clerk: No, that wouldn't work.

Me: What do you mean?

Clerk: It wouldn't work.

Me: What do you mean? The pickup on my guitar is mounted to the body. I don't need a pickguard with those holes.

Clerk: I don't know what you mean. That wouldn't work.

Me: What do you mean it wouldn't work? The pickup isn't mounted through the pickguard, it's mounted to the body.

Clerk: That wouldn't work. The pickups would fall out.

Me: No, they don't.

Clerk: Why can't you use the screws you already have?

Me: What? Screws? I'm here for a pickguard. Can't you look and see if you have a pickguard without those holes.

Clerk: No, I know we don't have them, because it wouldn't work.

The argument went on like that for a while. Then, the clerk just walked off without saying anything.

• Members

Many teles have the neck pup attached to the body. My Highway One is like this. Two srews with springs or rubber hose. You adjust your pickup hieth then put the guard on.

If you want to drill holes just use the old guard to mark hole placement.

Archived