I think my amp just crapped out . . .

Guitin Better

• Members

I was playing along and my amp (Rocktron Rampage R50C) started making a high pitched whistling sound. If I turn it off and wait a few seconds before turning it back on the whistle is gone for a while but it comes back. I plugged into my old faithful Fender 25R Frontman and there was no problem so the issue has to be with the Rocktron. Any ideas? And, if I may, please try to avoid helpful suggestions like "Rocktron is a piece of {censored} . . . you need to get a {insert amp manufacturer of preference here}".

Thanks!

• Members

It looks like a cool little amp. Does it have a fuse that's about to blow?

Yeah, it's been a good little amp for rehearsals and such. It's surprisingly loud and has great clean/chorus and dirty sounds.

I have no idea if a failing fuse could cause this problem. It's a loud squealing sound.

• Members

I have a vox valvetronix with a similiar personality. My tech couldn't get it to happen in shop. he probably didn't even try cuz he knew he couldn't fix it anyway. sell it cheap with full disclosure

• Members

I was messing around with it last night and found that I could create the problem by wiggling a certain wire that went into the amp section of the box. Because I'm an idiot I decided to take the whole thing apart thinking I might find a loose connection that I could solder and quickly solve my problem. I didn't find anything obvious (I kinda knew I wouldn't) but I got the amp put back together and it still works. Oddly, the squealing sound has not occurred since I performed this surgical procedure. When I was inside I wiggled some wires and reseated some plug connections. Maybe something wasn't making good contact. I'm not crazy enough to think I fixed it. We'll see how long this lasts.

Archived