any of you guys make your own pedal board

chrisebrooks06

• Members

posted this on the diy section but its pretty quiet on there so thought i would ask here, i have a few nice pedals coming and i would like to build a pedal board, i just need tips on what materials to use, powering up all the pedals etc, any diy pics would be a useful guide too...:thu:

its getting a bit late now lol so ill type a better description tommorrow, hopefully the above makes sense

thanks as always

chris:thu:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I was going to make one I would do a few things to it that bother me about the store bought ones.

I would use plywood and probably either cover it or paint it with that textured stuff. It would have a flip top that actually folds underneath to angle it just a bit. The hinge design would be a bit of a pain, but do-able.

Next thing is that I would lay out my pedals exactly how I want them and then build a false floor for cable running. I'd also have my pedals mounted with screws or a clamp system because I am not a fan of the velcro for some unnatural reason.

Power supply would also be in the false floor and I would have a master power switch on the top. I'd probably make a cable storage slot for my main guitar cable or even do some kind of rollup/retractable design depending on how much room I have and how geeky I felt at the time.

One other thing that I may do is to shield the interior of the false floor since most of the cables would be inside of there. The cable would be the weak spot in RF interference in this system.

Just throwing some ideas out there for you. I hate cable mess and between tie straps and everything being mounted securely it would be pretty bullet proof.

• Members

PedalsMay08a.jpg

Made out of mdf, raised a little at the back, trimmed with black carpet and used aluminium deck plate that I found in work. The pedals are secured with a fixing kit I bought of Ebay...ive since straightened the pedals up.

• Members

I just built one out of plywood and covered it with cheap Universal Trunk Carpet from PepBoys. Used spray glue on top and carpet tacks underneath. Screwed a couple handles on and it's good to go.

• Members

Nice Wood+Screws+Wood Finish. One Spot and Power Strip are inside the board itself.

pedalboardZupdated.jpg

Woah that is tiny. :cool: I'd trip over it and kill myself and all my gear. I presently have a volume pedal and a crappy Multi-FX and I miss and then trip over this two all the time.

• Members

I got a bit of 6mm thick aluminium and screwed some rubber feet on from a hardware shop. Everything is held on with sticky velcro. Its very tough and is just the right size to fit in my rucksack with all my cables.

Pedals002.jpg

• Members

I'm currently building one. It's covered in Fender lacquered tweed. I'm going to do some more work on it on Wednesday, so I'll try to post some pics then. Trouble is, I'm still on my quest for my best pedal rig and this board is going to have permanent positions... :eek:

• Members

Genius.
:lol:

Its actually worked really well---I've had to move my pedals about a lot recently so its easier with them on two smaller boards, and since I'm never likely to want to take them *all* to a gig I can just load up one of them with what I want and take that.

At some point I might paint them...in fact, this thread has reminded me that I need to physically attach the pedals to the board, they just sit on it at the moment :cop:

• Members

My board was effortless...

p1616.jpg

:D

Actually, I did build a pedalboard for my bass rig a few years ago. I already had a cheap aluminum case like this:

SPM6701-GAL1.jpg

I cut a piece of plywood to fit inside, painted it flat black, ran two strips of velcro across it, mounted two U shaped drawer pulls on each side to lift it with and screwed two rubber feet in the bottom front to tilt a little bit and offer some traction.

I used it for a year or so until I got tired of lugging my amp and cab.

Now I use an old Bass Pod direct with the floorboard pictured above. :thu:

Archived