can you dye a fretboard?

ctestdummy

• Members

i tried to search for this and i found nothing but on ebay i saw a kid selling his les paul custom and it had a dark neck and he said he dyed the rosewood to make it look like it was ebony. i was wondering how could this be done? if its anything simple maybe ill do it to my custom

• Members

Yes, it will stain the inlays and binding. You need to mask everything. If you get some on the white poly, it just might stain that as well if you are not careful.

Mask the entire back of the neck, headstock, inlays and body. I use the green masking tape as it's got stronger adhesive than the blue stuff.

Be ready with some naptha and rub down the inlays afterwards incase any dye seeps underneath the tape.

I've dyed many fretboards this way and as long as your careful it will turn out great.

Tip: a regular hole puncher punches out holes in masking tape that are exactly the same size as most round inlay dots.

• Members

Yes, it will stain the inlays and binding. You need to mask everything. If you get some on the white poly, it just might stain that as well if you are not careful.

Mask the entire back of the neck, headstock, inlays and body. I use the green masking tape as it's got stronger adhesive than the blue stuff.

Be ready with some naptha and rub down the inlays afterwards incase any dye seeps underneath the tape.

I've dyed many fretboards this way and as long as your careful it will turn out great.

Tip: a regular hole puncher punches out holes in masking tape that are exactly the same size as most round inlay dots.

In case the OP didn't know, naptha is also known as "lighter fluid". I don't think BBQ fluid works as well in terms of being a solvent, so I'd get the kind of stuff you'd put in a Zippo. It always works fine for me, and it's dirt cheap too.

• Members

Use it sparingly. I use a small 1/4 inch thick paintbrush and kinda paint it on. Or you could just use a tshirt rag and wipe it on a little bit at a time. A little really goes a long way. Let it sit a few mintues to soak in, then rub it down with clean rags until no more comes off on the rags. Then treat the board with lemon oil after it's completely dry. The lemon oil rag will get a little black on it, but it will condition the board nicely and make it look more natural after dying it.

• Members

is the stain permanent? will it come off on my fingers? will it come off when i put my guitar honey on it?

I wear two sets of rubber gloves when doing this, as it will stain the hell out of your fingers and stay there for days.

It will last years on the fretboard. Everytime you use lemon oil, a little might come off on the rag, but as long as you only do that once or twice a year it should be fine. It's pretty damn permanent.

Archived