tell me about stacked humbuckers

Faber

• Members

Mre specifically, stacks for strat. I gather they are higher output and thicker sounding than singlecoils, but will the guitar still sound "stratty" for want of a better word? I'm looking for something thicker and higher output than the Lace Golds that are there now, but i'd still like a bit of the strat character to come through. Basically, some kind of middle ground between a single coil and humbucker sound

• Members

My experience with Kinman's AVn Blues and Fender's Hot Noiseless is ...

Yes, they do indeed sound 'Stratty', bearing in mind that not all 'proper' Strat PUs sound the same. When I had a pair of 63 Strats, my black one (which I still have) was a sharp, 'cut-through' Strat perfect for playing in larger bands and getting heard without having to be stupid loud, and my pink one (sadly stolen) was a warm, 'spready' Strat great for playing trio and filling out the sound.

The Kinman set (fitted to an MIM 50s Classic I've now sold to a pal) was more like my black Strat -- though the mapleboarded neck may well have added some highs -- and the Fender Hot Noiseless more like the pink one.

What they have in common is that, even with a 'stacked' build, the noise and general sonic crap which the bucker design eliminates tends to live in the same frequency area as some of the Strat's ultra-highs, and eliminating one (which be good) unfortunately means also eliminating the other. Result: 'noiseless' Strat sounds tend to be at the smoother, less biting end of the Strat spectrum and therefore slightly more appropriate for more modern, rockier sounds than for the absolute full-on vintage experience. Some foks may actually prefer this tonality.

This is being hyper-picky, though. I've used my Jeff Beck Custom Artist at blues jams going through decent tube amps and, in a full-band context, the distinction isn't a prob.

EDIT: If what you want is a more 'humbuckery' sound, then stacks prolly ain't the way to go, because they're still more like a regular Strat PU than like anything else. Joe Barden-style rails -- like various PUs you can get from DiMarzio or Duncan -- or Seymour's JBjr or Li'l 59 -- are downsized humbuckers which fit a Strat single-coil body rout and 'guard slot and are far more likely to hit that halfway house.

• Members

Basically instead of a side by side single-coil [thus Humbucker]. The coils are stacked on top of one another [thus Single-Coil size].

I have owned and played a few overn the years. The output doesn't seem to be exactly like a regular humbucker. But they sound GOOD!

• Members

What do think about the P-90's Arkay?

I have a set of the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage. The rear is a Tone Zone neck is a P-90.

But I have A/B'd the rear Tone-Zone to a real humbucker Tone Zone.

The Tone was very similiar. But I'll tell you what I thought was significantly different. With the Volume UP and then the OD pedal hit and a god amout of gain used...............................The P-90 size humbucker didn't have the harmonics the real humbucker was putting out?

I'm not sure if the VV are stacks....I think so, they could be a side by side?

• Members

I have 3 of them in my Vintage strat, they are Wilkinsons. The guitar has a pot for blending from single coil to stacked and they do sound pretty cool in both modes. Always meant to compare them with standard P90s, but I keep forgetting :lol:

• Members

My experience with Kinman's AVn Blues and Fender's Hot Noiseless is ...

Yes, they do indeed sound 'Stratty', bearing in mind that not all 'proper' Strat PUs sound the same. When I had a pair of 63 Strats, my black one (which I still have) was a sharp, 'cut-through' Strat perfect for playing in larger bands and getting heard without having to be stupid loud, and my pink one (sadly stolen) was a warm, 'spready' Strat great for playing trio and filling out the sound.

The Kinman set (fitted to an MIM 50s Classic I've now sold to a pal) was more like my black Strat -- though the mapleboarded neck may well have added some highs -- and the Fender Hot Noiseless more like the pink one.

What they have in common is that, even with a 'stacked' build, the noise and general sonic crap which the bucker design eliminates tends to live in the same frequency area as some of the Strat's ultra-highs, and eliminating one (which be good) unfortunately means also eliminating the other. Result: 'noiseless' Strat sounds tend to be at the smoother, less biting end of the Strat spectrum and therefore slightly more appropriate for more modern, rockier sounds than for the absolute full-on vintage experience. Some foks may actually prefer this tonality.

This is being hyper-picky, though. I've used my Jeff Beck Custom Artist at blues jams going through decent tube amps and, in a full-band context, the distinction isn't a prob.

EDIT: If what you want is a more 'humbuckery' sound, then stacks prolly ain't the way to go, because they're still more like a regular Strat PU than like anything else. Joe Barden-style rails -- like various PUs you can get from DiMarzio or Duncan -- or Seymour's JBjr or Li'l 59 -- are downsized humbuckers which fit a Strat single-coil body rout and 'guard slot and are far more likely to hit that halfway house.

Thanks, that's a very good breakdown of it. Those are noiseless pu claimed to sound exactly like real SCs (whether they actually do or not). I'm looking for something fatter/ballsier, but still stratty.

Those rail or side by side strat styles might be the ticket. The only rails I have first hand experience with are the hot rails, and those are too hot for what I'm after.

• Members

I recently put a Duncan Little 59 single space humbucker in my Tele Thinline. Like you, I wanted something that was "higher output and thicker sounding", and this definitely fits the description. It's not as fat as a full size humbucker, but way more than the stock single coil, and it totally screams with high gain distortion. I wired it for series/parallel switching, but I find I rarely use it in parallel - but it's there if I want a thinner twangier sound. The Little 59 is available for Strat's too. Interestingly enough, when choosing a neck pickup to go with it, I choose a Lace Sensor Gold, and they make a nice combo.

Archived