Just turned down a sale on my G&L...

dewees

• Members

First, he wanted to use his company's check for the purchase rather than a money order. Then the guy was asking for me to put all these specifics in writing - a complete description of the condition, the serial number, that I owned it free and clear. This was all stuff that was there in our emails. He intimated that this was all about wanting something like a description so he could buy it through his business for tax reasons. But his business certainly had nothing to do with buying guitars, so it's not a tax issue (and even if it were, I don't think I necessarily want to be party to defrauding the IRS). In the same email he referred to wanting to protect himself, kind of contradicting the implicit tax motive. After just about doing the deal he sent another email asking again for all this stuff in one message. At that point I just turned down the deal.

I've been here before. I felt like I was being set up to be confronted with some aspect of the guitar that I failed to disclose as a basis for some partial refund. But the main thing is that the attention to all this detail just tells my gut that the buyer is going to find a reason to be unhappy with the guitar.

I am finally learning to go with my gut. I don't need to sell the guitar that badly.

• Members

Definitely.

It's a guitar. Buy it. Take it home. Rock the f out.

What's with all the contract BS and specific, explicit descriptions and clauses? Sounds way too complicated to bother with. He's probably up to something and your instinct to not want to be part of it was probably a good one.

• Members

Then again, maybe he was just being overly cautious. Personally, once the business check crap started, that would've been it for me. Smart move on your part for turning it down. :thu: That deal had {censored} on it from the beginning, no matter how much he was willing to pay.

• Members

I had something like this happen with a bass I sold. The buyer started in complaining about a ding on the headstock - which I'd pointed out and sent a larger-than-life picture of! It just cascaded from there and he started talking about a partial refund. I told him to ship it back and I'd refund all his money. Then he started talking about sending him a partial refund as a "good faith" gesture, then he'd ship the bass back. I was on the phone with him and must have told him 20 times to just ship it back and I'd give him a complete refund. He opted to keep the bass.

There are people who just should not buy a used guitar. Fortunately, most of them know who they are. It's the rest of these obsessives who think they should be getting a new guitar for half price that cause the trouble.

Archived