What's the standard body wood for tele?

bengerm77

• Members

I played an actual honest to goodness American tele at a guitar store and despite having identical pickups to my squire (I upgraded) it still sound better. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the body wood is way better than mine. So, what's the standard/traditional wood for a telecaster? I'm going to eventually buy a cheap actual tele body and remount all my stuff on it.

• Members

Well defeintely the wood used on the amercian is off higher quality than the squire so it would give you a better sound. Higher grade wood = better tone.

Not trying to be an ass but would you expect the amercian to sound better(even with the same pickups) since it is about ten times as much as a squire?

• Members

yeah I bet if you upgraded all teh wiring to American it'd sound better. Then upgrade some of the hardware for soemthing made out of a better material. Then switch out the neck for something better (I've found cheaper necks had uneven fretboards and frets)

then you'd have.... a squier with a bunch of upgrades!

get the american tele and end your GAS. 900 bucks now instead of 300 bucks in upgrades plus 900 bucks later when you finally decide on buying the MIA Tele.... just sayin from experience

• Members

Well, upgrading the electronics sounds cheap and easier to do than going through all of that body wood crap right now any way. As is I already replaced the pickups and bridge, so all that's left that greatly affects sound (not trying to rustle the hornets nest here) is the body wood, nut, and electronics. I know that the pots and caps in the guitar are probably made out of crap, so what do I need to get to get up to speed in the guts of my tele?

• Members

My wife's poplar bodied MIM Classic Series 50's Strat sounds better than my American Series alder bodied Strat. They've both had the same pickups for awhile (Fat 50's) and the Classic has an MIA trem system. But anyone on this board would be able to hear the difference, and most of them would pick the Classic as the better sounding guitar. So, go figure. Now teles, I'm not sure about.

Archived