Found a good tech!

scolfax

• Members

After a bad experience with a tech last year, I kinda let my gear stagnate. A friend of mine recommended a new guy in my area, and I took a couple of guitars to him yesterday. I left feeling very, very impressed.

First off, he measured the strings on my recently-acquired PRS and told me what size strings were on it. Turns out they were 9's, but someone had replaced the high E with an 11. Nice to know!

Second, he confirmed my suspicion that the previous tech had mucked up my Strat. We had a good talk about the crazy shim at the wrong end of the pocket, the cranked down saddles, and the crappy partial fret-mill. He's going to "reset" the setup and then evaluate it to see if a fretmill makes sense - it probably will.

We talked at length about PLEK, and he talked me out of replacing my tuners - I even learned about the differences you get when you increase or decrease the mass on your headstock.

Anyway, it was nice to have a conversation with a tech that didn't have a lot of vague generalities. I left feeling that my Strat would be in good hands.

Edit: Got a couple of PM's - he's in the SF Bay Area.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived