CPU Issues with Session Drummer 2!!!

Patre

• Members

I'm not quite sure what to make of this, but experienced this last evening:

I opened a new project in Sonar 7.02PE and inserted an audio track & a midi track and then opened Session Drummer 2. (That's all I had opened). While playing with some of the presets in SD2, I noticed that my mouse was very sluggish and it took a few seconds (at times) to get it to move.

I also noticed that my CPU Meter (at the bottom right corner) was was alternately switching 2 & 1 and then 1 & 2 (repeatedly) which seemed like it was processing something, but I only had SD2 open. Drop down menus also took a while to respond. Even Task Mgr. was a little slow to respond (which is unusual as I just built this DAW 3 weeks ago and everthing was super fast). After shutting down Sonar, the PC was fine. Has anyone experienced this?:confused:

These are my specs:

AMD 64x2 2.7GHz

ASUS M2N-E SLI AM2 Mobo

Seagate Baracuda 400Gb sata

Seagate Baracuda 160Gb sata

Corsair DDR2 Ram 4Gb

Gadget Labs 824 card

Sonar 7.02 Producer Edition

XP Home

• Members

I opened a new project in Sonar 7.02PE and inserted an audio track & a midi track and then opened Session Drummer 2. (That's all I had opened). While playing with some of the presets in SD2, I noticed that my mouse was very sluggish and it took a few seconds (at times) to get it to move.

Not that it should matter, but did you try using the synth rack instead of manually inserting tracks?

I wish I could help you more, but I'm still on 6PE and never liked Session drummer so I never installed it.

• Members

I forget just which pull down but if you look for one called "audio" or something to that effect, you will find a area about latency and you will see a slider. Session drummer is pretty fancy so I suggest running it alone and adjusting the slider to "safe" rather than fast untill you see thing smmoth out.

also, since is tough on the cpu, after you have your song or whatever, in the snyth rack there is a option to "freeze" the tracks. this will turn them into audio files and will not run the drummer engine. if you need to change something, simply thraw the tracks.

• Members

Hi Fire,

Why do you say it's a latency problem?? When I play within SD2, it plays fine without any problems.

I was thinking more on the lines of a conflict within the "Multiprocessor Engine" (Options > Audio > Advanced dialog box) since it seems to be jumping from core1 to core2 that's causing this....but what do I know.....I'm just taking shots in the dark :arg:

I have an AMD single dual-core processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5200DOBOX)

Appreciate your thoughts on this...:)

Patre

• Members
I was thinking more on the lines of a conflict within the "Multiprocessor Engine" (Options > Audio > Advanced dialog box) since it seems to be jumping from core1 to core2 that's causing this....but what do I know.....I'm just taking shots in the dark :arg:

I have an AMD single dual-core processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5200DOBOX)

Appreciate your thoughts on this...
:)
Patre

I have a dualcore AMD as well, but I didn't notice any CPU weirdness with Session Drummer when I tried it a while back, nor do I have any Sonar issues with Multiprocessing. Was your CPU an upgrade? Or a fresh install? Did you install the MS and AMD patch? You also say you have 4gb Ram on XP32, did you do the 4gb Switch?

• Members

I have a dualcore AMD as well, but I didn't notice any CPU weirdness with Session Drummer when I tried it a while back, nor do I have any Sonar issues with Multiprocessing. Was your CPU an upgrade? Or a fresh install? Did you install the MS and AMD patch? You also say you have 4gb Ram on XP32, did you do the 4gb Switch?

Everything was a fresh install. What's MS? (sorry, at work I use a lot of abbreviations and having a MB-mental block). No I haven't installed any AMD patches & haven't done the 4GB switch. I did look for all my harware driver updates before I built the DAW, but didn't see any AMD patches :eek:

Could please elaborate on these two? (I was told that XP can only acess around 2.75GB of Ram). (My Mobo is ready for any future upgrades (XP64) & can handle upto 8GB of Ram).

Archived