I just saw the Roger Waters' DVD and I want a lap steel

kevorkazito

• Members

His keyboardist plays slide on this little white lap guitar. Does anyone know anything about it? I'd like to get one and try that style. I've been playing the solo to 'Running on Empty' on my guitar and it's hard to play the slide way up on the neck with a normal slide. Those lap steely slides look like a solid type of rod.

• Members

Lindley lived near me in Claremont a bunch of years ago and a buddy of mine invited me along to his Bday party.....just sayin.
You can get a really cheap (like $80) Rogue lap steel from MF or something but its probably a good idea just to raise the action on your electric and lay it across your lap. Experiment for a while to see ifin you want to take it further

• Members

Just spent some time trolling on ebay for Lap Steels... there are some instructional DVD I might get. I'll try putting my Joe Pass on my lap and giving it a try but I'm sure I have to get some kind of open tuning and that big fat bar for a slide.

Google is mans best friend. No need to buy a book. Hell you can use a regular slide, too. Maybe the tail of a butter knife ifin you dont have one. Try an open E tunning

• Members

Lap steel is a kick ... about the most fun you can have with your pants on :)

Check out David Gilmour ripping it up on this version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond
http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk/dg/index.html

On the cheapie ebay specials, Rougue, Galviston, Artisan, etc ... they have a very short scale and so so hardware. You can upgrade the hardware, but you are still stuck with the short of scale. I'd recommend something with at least a 22.5" or better ... bonus points if it has a p90 in it.
If you can find one in stock, Rondo does a SX that is about the best deal for a inexpensive steel.

• Members

I got the cheap Rogue one. It does the job. Its not so easy to play well, but I find it easier than playing slide on a regular guitar. The tuning you choose makes a huge difference in how you sound. I've played with an E tuning which is good for blues and the C6/Am tuning which can work for country-swing, but wants to sound Hawain.

• Members

David Gilmour plays a mean steel guitar. But David Lindley is the KING!

Amen to that. I just found this old Lindley clip last night and watched it about 4-5 times back to back, jaw hitting the desk every time. Just damn.

[YOUTUBE]p_ggb31cpIk[/YOUTUBE]

Archived