Does anyone know where to get Fret Doctor?

Midcitysaint

• Moderators

I need a reliable source to purchase some Fret Doctor for cleaning up my Les Paul fingerboards. Any suggestions? I'm this close (-) to just buying the Gibson fretboard conditioner but I was told Fret Doctor is the bomb.

you tried Google?:poke:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fret+doctor&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.google:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

~It's the first result

• Members

I need a reliable source to purchase some Fret Doctor for cleaning up my Les Paul fingerboards. Any suggestions? I'm this close (-) to just buying the Gibson fretboard conditioner but I was told Fret Doctor is the bomb.

I have the Gibson conditioner as well as Old English.

I almost bought some Fret Doctor, but ended up buying Gerlitz Guitar Honey and Roche Thomas Premium Fingerboard Oil.

http://www.gerlitzusa.com/

http://www.rochethomas.com/

I'm sure that Fret Doctor is great, but IMO it's a bit expensive and the alternatives I'm using are pretty good.

When a fingerboard is too dirty, I use Formby's Build-up Remover first.

• Members

Yeah, I saw the bore cleaner guys but the website looks a bit thrown together. No retailers I recognize. Do you recommend one?

He's the only guy that makes the stuff, it's his product. I've bought from him at least 3 times. Highly recommended.

• Members

$10.95?? Expensive, I've had my 60ml for nigh on 2 years and it's conditioned quite a few fretboards that have been thru my humble shop and I have about 20ml left

It's not that the $10.95 in itself is expensive.

The 60 ml you mention costs $18.95 plus shipping.

Gerlitz Guitar Honey: US $4.95 for 60 ml

Roche-Thomas: US $3.95 for 60 ml

The product itself costs 3.8 times what I paid for the Gerlitz Guitar Honey, or 4.8 times what I paid for the Roche-Thomas Premium Fingerboard Oil. So yes, the Fret Doctor is more expensive :)

Indeed they last for years. I just received them a couple of weeks ago, used them on maybe 4 fingerboards, and don't expect to use them again for a very long time. I purchased both since I got them from the same seller and got combined shipping along with another item, and it was a good opportunity to compare both products.

I like them both, although I prefer Roche-Thomas application (drops) vs. Gerlitz's (spray).

As I said, I'm sure that Fret Doctor is great, but paying 4 or 5 times as much for it did not make much sense to me.

I'm open to comments in case anyone has compared all three products. Maybe the Fret Doctor is indeed worth more than the others. Based on the comments and information I read, it didn't look that way.

• Moderators

It's not that the $10.95 in itself is expensive.

The 60 ml you mention costs $18.95 plus shipping.

Gerlitz Guitar Honey: US $4.95 for 60 ml

Roche-Thomas: US $3.95 for 60 ml

The product itself costs
3.8 times
what I paid for the Gerlitz Guitar Honey, or
4.8 times
what I paid for the Roche-Thomas Premium Fingerboard Oil. So yes, the Fret Doctor is more expensive
:)

Indeed they last for years. I just received them a couple of weeks ago, used them on maybe 4 fingerboards, and don't expect to use them again for a very long time. I purchased both since I got them from the same seller and got combined shipping along with another item, and it was a good opportunity to compare both products.

I like them both, although I prefer Roche-Thomas application (drops) vs. Gerlitz's (spray).

As I said, I'm sure that Fret Doctor is great, but paying 4 or 5 times as much for it did not make much sense to me.

I'm open to comments in case anyone has compared all three products. Maybe the Fret Doctor is indeed worth more than the others. Based on the comments and information I read, it didn't look that way.

You just bought cheap paraffin based solvent basically

• Members

You just bought cheap paraffin based solvent basically

Could you elaborate? I'm truly interested in learning about this. It's the first time I read something like this regarding Gerlitz Guitar Honey. I don't have much information regarding the Roche Thomas oil, and don't know about its components.

Based on what I read at The Gear Page as well as various pages over the net, people praised these 2 products.

In fact, I didn't even check their websites back then, but just read this at the Gerlitz site:

"Without giving away our formula, I can tell you that 'Guitar Honey' is a mineral oil based formula, which is blended with a very high grade of mineral spirits (for cleansing) along with other proprietary ingredients which give a smooth (not greasy) feel & finish to an instrument's fingerboard. It contains NO silicones or other ingredients which would be harmful to an instrument's fingerboard, frets, binding, finish, inlays or structural adhesives, when used as instructed.

We developed our unique formula in conjunction with one of the nation's top paint & finish chemists, with very strict guidelines for the specific needs of stringed instrument fingerboards. For over fifteen years, we've shared an on-going close relationship with the chemist's company, who meticulously formulate 'Guitar Honey' to our rigid specifications. I am very particular about my guitars & how I treat them. You can rest assured in the integrity of our product, and I'm quite sure you'll always be very satisfied with the results. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance."

I also read the information regarding Fret Doctor back then, and as I mentioned, I almost made a purchase. Buying the other 2 made more sense.

But I'm always open to learning new stuff :)

• Moderators

"
Without giving away our formula, I can tell you that 'Guitar Honey' is a mineral oil based formula, which is blended with a very high grade of mineral spirits (for cleansing) along with other proprietary ingredients which give a smooth (not greasy) feel & finish to an instrument's fingerboard. It contains NO silicones or other ingredients which would be harmful to an instrument's fingerboard, frets, binding, finish, inlays or structural adhesives, when used as instructed.

As soon as it says mineral oil, it FAILS. It's a by product of the oil industry and simply should not go on wood. There are so many natural plant based products, thatw ill clean, eg the citrus oils, plenty to condition, eg something as simple as grapeseed oil, at least 3 of the strongest antibacs in the world to keep your mix fresh and prevent it from going rancid, eg thyme, rosemary and clove. There is quite simply no need to use anything formulated by a guy in a white "formulates". fret doctor is the same as their bore oil which has been protecting woodwind instruments for an age. Wood is a natural product that deserves natural oils to clean and condition it

• Members

Thanks. I'll try Fret Doctor someday. Wasn't it formulated by a "guy in white" as well? (L. Omar Henderson, Ph.D.)

I did get Formby's Deep Cleansing Buildup Remover when I read about it at the Fret Doctor site.

For now I'll stick with the ones I purchased. They've also been protecting instruments for years (20-30). But one day I'll try the Fret Doctor. Thanks for the reply.

• 4 months later...

Archived