Can someone educate me on Hughes&Kettner amps?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I just wanted to know anything and everything you guys could tell me about Hughes & Kettner amps. Experience, sound quality, versatility, everything and anything you guys wan to tell me. I know very little to nothing about these amps would like to know more about them. Anyone want to tell me about the Edition Tube 20 amp? Thanks guys!

• Members

The Edition Tube 20 IMO gets a good Voxy clean and a good Marshall crunch. Bass is present & tight due to the enclosed back. If I remember correctly, part of the tone stack is shared, but I don't remember having any difficulty getting good, footswitchable sounds on both channels. I also have to say the stock speaker wasn't in need of replacement unless you just want to; sounded fine to me. It didn't sound boxy at all.

Fast-forward 2 years & the Statesman series has sparked my interest. Haven't even seen any in stores around here yet.

• Members

I just wanted to know anything and everything you guys could tell me about Hughes & Kettner amps. Experience, sound quality, versatility, everything and anything you guys wan to tell me. I know very little to nothing about these amps would like to know more about them. Anyone want to tell me about the Edition Tube 20 amp? Thanks guys!

I have an Edition Tube 20 as do a few people around here. Made in Germany, EL84 tubes in the power stage, Eminence 12" speaker. I've had it for over 2 years now, and the honeymoon is far from over. Bought it from MF when they still carried 'em regularly. The tone is incredible I think. Kind of like a Fender + Marshall combined 40/60%. It's got two channels, which are COMPLETELY different. The clean channel is the better one I think. It takes pedals insanely well. I run a string of 8 boxes into the front end, and another 3 in the FX loop. This channel runs as a non master volume amp. It'll start to get a bit crunchy w/ volume at about 5, less if you put pedals in front. Switch the pedals off and it gets clean again in a hurry. It loves OD pedals, I run a Rocktron Austin Gold in there, and the tone is very fat with it switched on.

The lead channel has a master volume, with a seperate gain pot. It uses the same tone stack as the clean channel. The gain ramps up really fast on this side. There is a pushbutton on top of the amp to switch channels. It's footswitchable too, though the FS-1 is another 40 bucks. If you rarely go between the two channels, you could probably go without. I find the lead channel less versatile, but I've been playing around with it more and more.

Archived