Dave Lindley tuning to play solo of Running on Empty

kevorkazito

• Members

I just got my new Fender lap steel guitar. I was wondering if anyone out there knows what tuning Dave Lindley used when he plays the solo on Running on Empty? 'Been all over Google and the forum but I can't get a clue. I've got it tuned as an E-chord (how it came shipped) now.

• Members

Open E will not get you there. There's that swell that Lindley does at the end of each chorus that is a root/5th sort of lick -- can't do it with open E. Also, there's a classic open G lick during the solo. So, unless you can find a tuning that contains both of those elements, you'll have to fudge it.

• Members

I'm going to have to do some dectective work with the possibilities you mention. Man, I've been all over the net searching tabs and forums without any luck but I'm pretty determined to get it.

I'm pretty new to the instrument so I can't do any staggered slide angles to try to get those chords... it's gotta be an open tuning. So far, I've just been playing 'Running on Empty' and 'Breathe'.

I saw Daniel Lanois work a lap steel quite nice too. I luv it!

Open E will not get you there. There's that swell that Lindley does at the end of each chorus that is a root/5th sort of lick -- can't do it with open E. Also, there's a classic open G lick during the solo. So, unless you can find a tuning that contains both of those elements, you'll have to fudge it.

Archived