Epiphone LP Custom with Gibson headstock

ArKay

• Members

They speak English, you can email them.

Yeah, I was just browsing. I gots no spendables right now.

I did find a (sort of) translated version and currency converter. I definitely think I may go this route for my next one though.

That weird blue yamaha, the white Mustang . . . yeah definitely going to remember this place.

• Members

Yeah, I was just browsing. I gots no spendables right now.

I did find a (sort of) translated version and currency converter. I definitely think I may go this route for my next one though.

That weird blue yamaha, the white Mustang . . . yeah definitely going to remember this place.

The descriptions are difficult to translate so when in doubt it's always better to email them, they are very helpful and super friendly.

Cool place for Japanese guitars and one of the few shop which actually takes credit cards as opposed to bank transfer.

That Yamaha SGV was also available in the US and Europe, you can see them on eBay sometimes. There's also a version with P90 type pickups (SGV 800), the 300 is the low-end model.

Used to have both, kept the 800... Nicer, bound neck & Sperzel tuners.

sgv800_08.jpg

They are both re-issues, there's also an original from the late 60s on there.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/ubox.cgi?T=syosai&sline=6060&print=1&keys2=sakae%40ishibashi.co.jp&tid=list3

3164248031.jpg

• Members

I used to have a guitar just like that. It was made in Korea, just right after Epiphone transfered it's main production to Korea. Kind of like a transitional headstock. And as stated in the previous post, Epiphone Japan still makes full open book headstock with bell truss rod cover that's exactly like that of Gibson's.

You'll notice that the headstock on that guitar has a narrower upper bout than the bottom, plus the 3 screws truss rod cover.

• Members

The Epi has too much bling for me and I find this hybrid headstock even worse than the regular Epi version.

The two LPs that are on the way however look massively cool !!

I also have the blue Yamaha but somehow I don't get to play it much.

They are both waiting for me at home, arrived on Monday. And I'll be in Darmstadt until Friday :mad: Well, at least I now know that customs will be billed at your door when you order from Ishibashi and use EMS shipping. Saves me the trip to the customs office (I'm currently only home during weekends and would have to take a whole day off for that).

• Members

Saves me the trip to the customs office (I'm currently only home during weekends and would have to take a whole day off for that).

I once bought a couple of used burstbuckers from Switzerland. I had to go to the customs office - which is in the middle of nowhere and I did not have a car. I felt like I was a suspected drug felon when I had to open the box. No jokes. No smiles. I just hated it. For me a massive turnoff for ordering stuff outside of the EU.

• Members

I once bought a couple of used burstbuckers from Switzerland. I had to go to the customs office - which is in the middle of nowhere and I did not have a car. I felt like I was a suspected drug felon when I had to open the box. No jokes. No smiles. I just hated it. For me a massive turnoff for ordering stuff outside of the EU.

I know the guys at my customs office pretty well, 2 out of the 3 are pretty nice. The other one though, ugh.

How were they shipped? I know that stuff from USPS doesn't even have to be delivered by DHL here in Germany since there's no agreement between them and USPS. So USPS shipments usually go to the customs office if they are not 100% declared correctly.

IIRC Stew-Mac sent me some parts through FedEx and customs was also billed at my door. Since SM didn't declare the shipping costs (to save me money :lol: -- little do they know that German customs can't be fooled easily) they estimated them at $60 or something when they were really only $20. I would have rather picked up the package than getting ripped off. I could complain and get the money back, but I'm too lazy.

I told Ishibashi how to label the package in German ("E-Gitarre: Gebrauchte Bacchus") and I'm really wondering who did the local delivery since we don't have EMS in Germany.

• Members

I don't want to derail this thread, but does anyone know what the shipping cost to Europe is, when you order a guitar from the Ishibashi?

I don't have access to my email at the moment so this is all IIRC... 16,000JPY for a guitar with a softcase and 18,000JPY for one with a HSC.

• Members

I used to have a guitar just like that. It was made in Korea, just right after Epiphone transfered it's main production to Korea. Kind of like a transitional headstock. And as stated in the previous post, Epiphone Japan still makes full open book headstock with bell truss rod cover that's exactly like that of Gibson's.

You'll notice that the headstock on that guitar has a narrower upper bout than the bottom, plus the 3 screws truss rod cover.

I have an Epi LP Standard from 1990 with the same headstock minus the binding. Great player, excellent build quality - I wouldn't trade it for anything. Those Koreans built a hell of a guitar. I much prefer the Gibson style open book headstock to what Epi is putting on LP's these days.

• Members

I have an Epi LP Standard from 1990 with the same headstock minus the binding. Great player, excellent build quality - I wouldn't trade it for anything. Those Koreans built a hell of a guitar. I much prefer the Gibson style open book headstock to what Epi is putting on LP's these days.

Agree. I dug an old photo. I got it used from a guy who also told me that it's MIJ. He replaced all the hardware and pickups.

I think it's also here that somebody told me about it's Korean origin.

Nonetheless, It had the best 'feel' among my guitars at the time. Resale value was not bad either. I sold it for just as much as I originally paid for after about 4 months of use.

LP.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've got this same Epi LP Custom. Bought in December 1990, believed to have been made in 1989. It had a paper serial number on the back which I've now lost. It's been very much upgraded (pickups, rewired, hardware etc) but always has been great guitar and still the one i sit with and noodle around with when i'm chilling out at home. It's a pretty heavy beast weighing almost as much as my 1995 Gibson. I think the headstock looks far better than the "normal" epiphone thing.

Love to find some more info on this if anyone has any - anyone know if Epi stamped the serial numbers anywhere else in the body?

I'll post some pics when i get my camera back.

Archived