Shipping to UK

Bowe

• Members

does anyone know of any decent American sites that ship to the UK?

not just guitars, but also parts like pickups, tuners etc...

sorry if this has been brought up before, but i can't really search for "UK" so the search wasn't helpful

• Members

You need to be careful because you will get raped by customs :o

Sometimes, it will work out no cheaper than buying over here. You'll be charged about 20% of the item's value. I ordered amplifier parts from America and ended up paying over

• Members

Never paid customs on parts I bought from GFS because they use small shipping boxes, German customs is very thorough.

Stew Mac uses big shipping boxes and doesn't declare the shipping costs unless otherwise told. So on my first 2 orders I overpaid on customs since the shipping costs were totally overestimated and billed at my door by the courier they use (DHL Express IIRC).

Whenever I buy parts I make sure that I stay below the

• Members

Yeah, I will stop using Stewmac. Great service, but I got reamed with customs each time (obviously) and then just a few days ago about a month after the package came, DHL send me a leter saying "Ok, now you have to pay OUR fees".

So, even though you think you are getting a good deal, you lose out with cutsoms, VAT, shipping and what not.

I only buy aborad if the item just cannot be found here easily or cheaply, or if it is a really nice guitar or something that'd go for a lot more here, andonly then, if the VAT and import duty etc won't kill me.

Allparts are another good source. Axesrus is ok, but the website is awful. Allparts uk is a lot more professional looking and easy to navigate and search.

• Members

I use eBay most of the time and I always compare prices. Stew Mac isn't always the cheapest.

So far I've been very lucky on eBay, the smaller sellers often use padded shipping bags or small boxes and customs doesn't check those. I only buy small parts anyway. :)

Archived