Strat wiring

Knottyhed

• Members

Just upgraded the pots in a project guitar (strat 3 coils, 2 tone, 1 vol), I'm pretty sure I wired everything back how it was... the only thing I'm not sure of is where the ground wire originally went because it pulled off when I lifted out the scratch plate before I could take a picture/make notes. I soldered it to the volume pot as a guess.

Thing is, having put it back together only the bridge pickup is still working... any clues? Could it be anything to do with the ground wire (maybe a stupid question, but I'm out of my depth here)

• Members

If the bridge pickup is working I'd have to assume that you have a proper ground and hot getting to the output jack. It sounds like the other 2 pups are not getting into the circuit. There are tons of diagrams on the interweb ;) for strats. Find them and check your work to compare.

• Members

this site has a nice graphic or strat wiring:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/stockstrat.php

All grounds go to the Vol pot. Note the tone pot wiring. That's for neck and middle tone. I prefer tone pots for neck and bridge, If you want it that way just move the (mid tone) connect over one on the 5-way so there is a space between the two.

Good luck :)

Archived