Holding the Pick...I may have done something dumb

nuke_diver

• Members

Since I've gotten back into guitar I have graduated from stumming chords to learning scales and (trying) to play leads. Somewhere along the way I change the way I hold a pick from the conventional, side of the index finger and thumb to holding it at the tip of my index finger and thumb with the thumb and index finger froming a circle.

Yesterday I decided to try and change back...and like changing a golf swing that it wrong I'm all screwed up again. Is it worthwhile to force myself back to the correct technique and if anyone else has done this how long will I be mesed up for :idk:

• Members

EVH has it in the middle finger and thumb.

Dick dale held it like you do.

Jimi hendrix played lead and rhythm at the same time.

Technique isn't posture, technique is playing.

While "corner your toes and tighten your pose to compose or preform" is common in violin, electric guitar is such a flexible instrument in part due to the WAY it's played, more than gear.

• Members

Sounds like you are holding the pick the same way I do. I found holding the pick in that manner makes pitch harmonics esier and I also find it more comfertable if I'm using my middle finger to pick notes simmilar to finger picking. I also like to hit the string with the nail of my index finger before the pick hits the strings. You can get some cool muted sounds and even a heavey chuncky sound like that.

• Members

I can pretty much play anything I want on a bass. I use my fingers mostly, pick sometimes. You can analyze my technique all day long to try to figure out how I do what I do, but honestly, at the end of the day, technique was always something that just occured naturally that I never studied or thought about. It just sort of developed as a means to get the job done.

Sure, I can describe what I am doing in a technical way, but, the point is, I dont think about it too much.

IF whatever you are doing is producing the tones and playing ability you are wanting to hear, then why change it.

If, on the other hand, you are struggling with certain things, and you feel your technique is the culprit, then you are going to have to get serious about correcting it.

No two people on Earth play an instrument EXACTLY alike, technically.

Do whatever works for you, especially if it is working for you and you dont even have to think about it.

That is called your "style"

• Members

Do whatever works for you, especially if it is working for you and you dont even have to think about it.

That is called your "style"

Yeah Dave I think I'm going to go that way...maybe it might be a "better" technique but it's causing me to think too much about that and not just about playing...in essense changing my pick holding has messed up my left hand, so I'm going to go back to what feels more natural and see if I can make a small adjustment to make switching between lead and rhythm playing a bit better

Archived