question

JrMaFia

• Members

Hey whats going on i am recently new to playing and have only been playing a month. I play a strat copy made by xaviere through a vox dac15 amp. I love this instrument cannot put it down i play for hours a day. So today i was shopping with my girlfriend and decided to pop in to sam ash to play some guitars and some amps. Seems like alot of my favorite players play les pauls. I wanted to give one a try. Not much selection but i saw one all the way on the top hook for 900 with a tobacco burst finish. I take it down and plug it into a crate v-50 amp, man did this thing sound like {censored} and dings all over it. I believe it was a 1980 les paul standard. It amazes me how u slap a name on a headstock and right away it goes to 1000. So i play an epiphone les paul copy. I notice the action on these guitars is alot lower than my guitar. I can easily bar strings on the les paul copy. Do u think i need to maybe get my guitar setup? None of the strings buzz but maybe the nut needs to get adjusted a little? They want to charge $65 for a setup plus the cost of strings you think maybe i should bring it to a small music shop? By the way i love the board loads of info here, i have not yet taken one lesson but am learning alot of the basics through the net and my father knowing alot of the basics.

• Members

By the way the xaviere guitar kicks ass i really get some good tones out of it for 250 shipped with a case u cannot go wrong. From what i understand it is common to have to setup a guitar. And that crate amp i played was nice and only $169 since it was a floor model

• Members

Learn to set it up yourself.

You'll learn more about your (as in the one you own) instrument, you'll save money and you'll have a sense of accomplishment.

There is LOADS of info online, google it.

maybe the guy isn't confident enough to do it himself and doesn't want to mess his instrument up.

and about the les paul the op played at sam ash. i doubt it had been setup properly when you played it. if you aren't confident enough to set it up yourself then take it to a shop. but i would find one that gave me a better quote most setups dont cost me more than $50.

• Members

I don't want to mess anything up, i am still learning. I asked my father and he told me that no strings were buzzing so the action was fine. I was playing F bar chord with ease on the les paul's and when i play them no my xaviere i have to bar hard

• Members

You think i should try to adjust the saddle myself and see and if that does not work then take it to get it adjusted at a small music shop? I don't trust sam ash or guitar center

i would take it to a small shop, from what i have heard the people had those two places are to be trusted with setups. i think you should take it too a tech.

• Members

Ok guys thanks for the advice, I just get nervous being a beginner i am going to get jerked around but from what i understand very few guitars come ready to go out the box i hear an adjustment is something you should do on any guitar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sam Ash by my house. I went yesterday to guitar center it blows sam ash away the people there they just say hello then you can play whatever u want they have all sorts of guitars on the floor. Big selection of stuff. I sat down with a les paul studio and played it through a fender reverb.

n23001152_31421688_205.jpg

Archived