eBay eTiquette

Magpel

• Members

I'm a little frustrated. I've bought about six or seven items on eBay in the last two months. I always pay immediately with PayPal, and I send friendly emails to sellers, and I promptly leave feedback after I've assured that everything works as advertised...and in that time my own eBay feedback total has increased by 1, to a measley 12. I don't really feel like asking people to leave feedback so that I might get a more robust rating (100% is good, but doesn't mean much when you have fewer than 50 or 60 feedbacks left).

Whatevah

• Members

I'm a little frustrated. I've bought about six or seven items on eBay in the last two months. I always pay immediately with PayPal, and I send friendly emails to sellers, and I promptly leave feedback after I've assured that everything works as advertised...and in that time my own eBay feedback total has increased by 1, to a measley 12. I don't really feel like asking people to leave feedback so that I might get a more robust rating (100% is good, but doesn't mean much when you have fewer than 50 or 60 feedbacks left).

Whatevah

I see nothing wrong with a 2 sentence request to the ebayers thanking them again for the great transaction and kindly asking them to leave you a positive feedback if they were satisfied with the transaction as well. :blah:

• Members

Where there are a lot of people, there will always be those who mess up the system.

I always send a note to the seller or buyer that I'm leaving a pos on eBay for them and ask them to please do the same for me. However, I have probably had twenty to twenty-five people over the course of the years who never responded with a feedback for me at all even after a request.

On the flip side, there are a lot of eBay members who use feedback as their personal weapon with no regard to communication and patience in getting any conflicts resolved. I feel lucky to have kept my rating 100%. It's easy to run into a difficult and unreasonable person.

• Members

I've essentially ceased my eBay activity.

I have a 100% rating... but the deal days are seemingly over. Too many people have an inflated opinion of what their gear ought fetch. A Rick 4003, for example, that starts at $2K is ridiculous. Some may bid themselves up there, but I won't touch 'em.

• Members

Going on 9 years this April. I'm at a low 40 plus positive and 100% positive. I feel damn lucky to have not incurred a negative or neutral.

There was a misunderstanding about bank charges for one of my purchases but I called the guy (in England) and had a chat with him. I felt that the phone charges were worth saving my 100% streak. He said that the phone call made a clear cut difference.

Going back on topic, there are people who don't bother to go the extra mile and do the right thing which is what the old eBay was all about. Those days are long gone, comrades.

V.

• Members

I should have a 100% rating, but I purchased something from someone, paying promptly, and then...nothing. For two months. No communication. Nothing. So I reported him. He finally sends the thing with no apologies or explanation. I leave a negative mark saying that he didn't communicate or send the thing for two months, and he retaliates with a negative!!!!!

• Members

I've essentially ceased my eBay activity.

but the
deal days
are seemingly over

No doubt the glory days of the eBay deal are over, like the pawn shop golden age before it, but there are still decent deals to be had. A Ric bass or, perish the thought a Ric 12-string, is never going to slip through anywhere without rising to the range of market value.

But I've seen some some pretty substantial variance on more pedestrian gear. For example, I bid $545 on an RNC and RNP together in a funk logic rack. I "won" but the reserve wasn't met. The seller offered me a second chance at my price of 545. I would have jumped on it but I had already filled my need in other ways. So a week or two later he relisted and got 650! That kind of thing.

The increase in listing expenses certainly drives sellers to set higher reserves and starting prices. I still have fun with eBay, though.

• Members

I haven't had any problems with Ebay and have 100% positive feedback with 47 transactions. After I've received the item, I'll usually email the seller and thank them, letting them know I've left positive feedback and asking them to return the favor. I'm still waiting for feedback for an item I picked up locally a couple weeks ago, though.

Archived