Are any Squier guitars good?

DJayhawk

• Members

Squiers -Let's see - I own 4:

1986 MIJ strat - very nice. Stock neck and middle pickups (with non-staggered pole pieces) and SD in the bridge. The only draw back is it looks like I'll have to remove the neck to get to the truss-rod for an adjustment.

1994 MIM Fender squier model strat - Fender in large letters, Squier in smaller letters - a very nice guitar - nicer that my later MIM Fender strat I never played which I recently traded in.

Telecaster custom - 2 humbuckers - unbelievably nice guitar and for $199 (now $229)? Amazing

Telecaster custom II - 2 P90s - this is probably my favorite of the bunch.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Squiers can be very good guitars and great mod platforms.

I have a recent Vintage modern Tele that held its own with Fenders costing 2 and 3 times more. I changed the duncan Designed pups for GFS and its a gem!

Tele5.jpg

Tele4.jpg

I have a heavily modded Squier Strat that was my first guitar after many years without. It cost $139 and was a great platform for modding and it rips.

White one:

EBONYIVORY2.jpg

And I have an 80s Japanese strat that I got for a very good price that is all the strat Ill ever need..

SQUIRE1.jpg

SQUIRE2.jpg

• Members

I have an "E" MIJ strat but the truss rod is only accessible through the neck where it connects with the body, and even at that is not fully accessible unless removed. Anybody else seen this on their guitar? It's enough of a hassle I'm considering changing the neck.

got one of those myself. it's a hassle on neck adjustments for sure, but not worth changing the neck over IMO.

• Members

Those early Squiers were faithful recreations of original 50s spec Fenders, hence the truss rods being adjustable by removing the neck only. The modern design, with truss accessible from the nut end, carries a practical advantage, though given how rarely I have ever adjusted my trusses, it's probably not much of one, really...

Edit:... unless you live in a wildly fluctuating climate.

• Members

JV's were the legendary ones that made USA Fender engineers weep when they visited Fender Japan back in the day.
:cool:

Too right, same as the MIJ Strats. I have two old MIJ Strats and quite frankly they are just as good as any pre CBS Strats I have ever owned and I've owned a few of those.

In fact Paul Day who wrote the Fender book uses MIJ Strat's and swears by them.

Maybe some younger players here don't remember those and think a Squire is a Squire. Don't be fooled. The modern day Squire is nothing like an early 80's Squire.

Most Squires now are made from Agethis and made God only knows where,whereas the early Japanese ones were made from Alder and basswood like the originals.

The only problem with the early MIJ Strats in my opinion were the electrics and sometimes the pickups. Change the pots and wiring for US ones. Stick in some decent pickups and you've got something that will easily match a $15,000 original ( other than the collectors aspect of course ).

It always makes me laugh the way people go on about original 50's guitars and that somehow they were crafted by the Gods...LOL

Strats back then were assembled by cheap Mexican labour, as were probably most Les Pauls. I remember Les Paul standards when they were new. Yeah they were great guitars, but holy relics?? Not in my opinion. There were good ones and not so good ones, just like every other guitar today.

Archived