Les paul standard with ebony fretboard?

zosoKing5

• Members

Im in love with the neck and look of the 1960 reissue vos from gibson, but ebony is so much better to play on for me than rosewood. Other than last year's gibson custom classic with the smoker teeth yellow binding, any bursted les pauls available with an ebony board?

• Members

It will be harder this year to find a Standard with ebony, but your Supreme and the '68 RI LP Customs come bursted with ebony boards and the custom trim.

I had a CLassic with ebony board and it was the only one I remember having an ebony board.

You may wish to think about finding one of those prior to getting a '68 RI LPC.

Good luck in the hunt. I know it can drive one crazy. :thu:

• Members

MF had some LP standards with ebony boards a few years ago. They were blue and red transparent. I think the colors were called santa fe sunrise and midnight manhattan blue. They were a limited edition MF only thing. Might be some in their closeout section.

• Members

68 ri, I freakin love mine (see avatar or search for my posts for a bigger pic, I've posted it so often, I'll probably be bannated if I post it again!)

They come in 2 flavours, the generally available one has a really big early 50's profile neck, while there's also a GC exclusive with the same profile as the R0

You also see lots of the limited edition standards kicking around.

Far more rare are the custom orders from the custom shop. There was a guy on the LP forum that had an R9 with an ebony board/abalone inlays.

You could also find a used standard and pay someone to put a new board on it, this could work out cheapest in the long run

• Members

59humbucker, your 68 is gorgeous! The burst is similar to my supreme, except I like how it looks like its faded a bit.

Ive narrowed it down to

les paul custom in white

les paul classic custom (black with smoker lung yellow binding)

and im on the look out for any ebony board standards right now.

Im curious as to how much it would run to put an ebony board on a regular standard....

• Members

Im in love with the neck and look of the 1960 reissue vos from gibson, but ebony is so much better to play on for me than rosewood. Other than last year's gibson custom classic with the smoker teeth yellow binding, any bursted les pauls available with an ebony board?

Some years you can find LP Studio's with ebony fretboards. If you can live without binding, it might be worth looking into. Sometimes you can find a Studio in tobacco burst, too...though I don't see many Studio's with burst finishes. Good luck. I like ebony too. :)

• Members

Look for a Studio in Alpine White w/Gold. They all have Ebony boards. Standard Bursts are a little different. But Gibby built models through the years most noticable are mid 80's.

Guitar Center by me had one a few weeks back. Played and sounded great but the Top was terribly matched? Friend of mine works their and he came over with it to show me. But because of the Tops Grain match and year the LP was $1600? And it did play-sound Nice.

Archived