Craigslist haggling etiquette: over e-mail or in person?

MisterTV

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I recently bought a 70's acoustic on ebay. I went back and forth with the seller at least 6 time regarding the guitar conditon and setup. The answers were exactly what I wanted to hear. Anyway the auction went on and I placed my bid. I was the highest but didn't meet the reserve. The auction ended. Two days later I got a 2nd chance offer for the price I offered and bought it. I got it 4 days later. It was very pretty as discribed but the action was exactly 3/8th inch above the 12th fret. Not good. I contacted the seller and requested a refund including shipping or a partail refund so it could be repaired. They blew me off. I filed with paypal and sent them copies of all the emails between us. 24 hours later the seller agreed to take it back and refund me in full. I did however have to pay the shipping back. $26.00... That sucked. I'm having to wait for the guitar to arrive back to the seller before I get refunded.. Email negotiations don't always work out either. Some folks are just plain stupid or lousy cons. Either way ther're jerks. If I were you I would pass on it and look elsewhere. If your offer was fair then screw that seller he deserved to loose the sale with you and tolerate the inconvenience which he caused. The one you want is always just a week or so away!

Archived