You Decide: G&L Tribute Legacy OR Godin Freeway Classic

louloomis

• Members

Take this for what it is worth...I went out specifically with purchasing a Tribute S500 in mind...I came home with a Godin Freeway Classic.

The neck on my Godin is remarkably similar in feel to my USA Legacy,very close.

Seeing that the real major difference to me between the Tribute and the USA model G&L's are the neck,my vote would be Godin.

• Members

This is great feedback. Thanks everyone (keep it coming!).

I mostly play clean (no distortion), so can someone specifically comment on the Godin Freeway Classic with a clean sound in the neck pickup position? Is it warm, articulate? How's the bass response and response across the frequency range? Are you using a maple fingerboard or rosewood?

Anyone have any sound clips?

Thanks so much.

LouLoomis

• Members

Hi. Thanks for this clip - I already saw this one and this person's other clip. I didn't mention them because I was looking for clean sound clips (i.e. without distortion).

Anyone have any or experience with this guitar clean?

Thanks.

LouLoomis

• Members

I don't have any clean clips of mine,as myself I prefer single coil in the neck clean sound,(for recording anyway).But that is personal preference.

What I can tell you is the 5 way switch allows for lots of diffent tones availible.

Position 5 is the neck in humbucking mode,

Position 4 is the neck with coils in parallel and the middle single coil.(gives a quite passable strat 'quack')

Pos.3 is the middle single alone.

Pos 2 is the middle and bridge p-ups(same wiring as P-4)

Pos.1 is the bridge humbucker alone.

The pickups are warm,some say kind of bland but I don't have any complaints with them.

Besides they can always be swapped.

Oh...mine has the maple fingerboard.

Freeway.jpg

• Members

Well I had about half a page here and just lost it. In summary;

I've had a Godin SDxt and an LG with SD P-90s for several years -have felt they were really good guitars. A few months ago I got an ebay Tribute Legacy. Pulled it out of the box, it was filthy, all three pots were shot, action at the body about 1/2 inch - oh man.

Anyway, got it stripped down, cleaned up, replaced all the pots, shimmed the neck, polished the frets, tweaked the truss rod - and - I have not picked up anything else since! This is obviously a very small sample to compare, but I would have to say that at least some Tributes are in a different class than most Godins.

My Tribute is a MIK '03 model, and I don't know about the new ones from Indonesia. The G&L neck is fatter and wider than most Godin necks, and I was afraid that would be problem for my small arthritic hands - but after a couple of weeks adjustment I think it may be the most comfortable neck I've played - and the extra width has definitely improved my picking. I always thought the tone and sustain with the Godins was OK - the Tribute is outstanding. I would rate the G&L pickups way better than the Godins.

To be fair - the Tribute does have a couple of bad spots up around the 18th or 19th frets - I can live with that.

• Members

The G&L neck is fatter and wider than most Godin necks, and I was afraid that would be problem for my small arthritic hands - but after a couple of weeks adjustment I think it may be the most comfortable neck I've played - and the extra width has definitely improved my picking. I always thought the tone and sustain with the Godins was OK - the Tribute is outstanding. I would rate the G&L pickups way better than the Godins.

I don't believe they are wider at all.The G&L website lists the Tribute necks as 1 5/8" at the nut...Godin performace models(your LG and SD )are 1 11/16" at the nut.

I have three Godins and neither of my 2 american G&Ls are wider at the nut.

The neck shape on a couple of them are different for sure though.

It does come down to personal preference in the end.

Archived