Difference between Yamaha SG1000 and 2000

YorkshireStu

• Members

Hey guys,

I've been looking at Yamaha SGs recently and they look like sweet guitars. I see quite a few affordable SG1000s but not many 2000s. I know the 1000 is set-neck and the 2000 is through-neck, but apart from that is there any difference eg. pickups, tuners etc?

And would it be worthwhile splashing out more and hunting down a 2000 when my best guitar at the moment, and the standard by which I judge all other guitars, is a MIM strat (with some upgraded pups)?

Cheers,

Stu

• Members

The SG2000 has an ebony fretboard and a brass sustain block under the bridge.

AFAIK the tuners and pickups are the same in both models

You've already nailed the biggest difference, which is the through-neck construction. There's a bit more to it with the woods used because of this. The entire through-neck is a composite of mahogany and maple - in addition to the maple top.

This increases the natural resonance and overall sustain of the guitar and makes it markedly heavier (than the SG1000) as well - although it's perfectly balanced.

As for comparing an SG2000 to a Strat, that's not really possible. The two guitars are entirely different beasts.

I have an SG2000 and a US Strat (Plus), so I can say that with some confidence. I enjoy playing both guitars - because they're so different from each other.

Hope that helps.

• Members

^ Thanks Scotty that's a big help, particularly on the weight issue. From what I've read the 2000s are really heavy - that would make me more inclined to the 1000, to be honest.

What I mean about comparing it to the strat is say, for instance, you went from a Squire to a Gibson LP standard, you'd notice a big jump in the quality of the guitar, whereas if you went from a Squire to a Custom Shop Gibby, you'd notice an even bigger jump in quality.

I was just wondering if the 200 feels like a much more quality guitar than the 1000, or if they're not a huge difference.

Stu

• Members

No problems Stu. I'm happy to help.

The best way I can describe the difference in feel between an SG1000 and SG2000 is to compare it to the difference between a Les Paul Standard and a Les Paul Custom.

Both guitars look very similar but feel different to play - and differ in tone as well.

To be honest, I like the SG1000's a lot as well, and if I didn't have a Gibson LP I would probably already have one. I found the SG1000 and LP Standard/Classic to be similar in feel - with the obvious exception of easier upper fret access on the SG.

There are some excellent deals to be had on SG1000's right now and I have to confess to be tempted to just get one myself :)

• Members

The fact that you judge other guitars by an MIM strat is a good sign that you judge guitars by their own merit and not the "prestige" factor. You have what it takes to be very happy with an SG1000 if it happens to meet your requirements for weight, sound, etc. An SG2000 is a prestigeous guitar by any standard and the price reflects that. I have a gut feeling that your best bet would be the the 1000 unless you are not minding the cash aspect of it. Like scotty said, the similarities between a Yammie SG and a strat are few although they both have frets and two strap buttons...

Good luck!

• Members

Thanks again guys, this is good stuff!

I think the SG1000 is the one I'll go for - I absolutely love my MIM strat and think it's a really quality instrument so going for a guitar that's comparable to a Gibby (in quality, not style/sound) is gonna blow my mind probably! Unless I get an amazing deal on a 2000 that is...

And JKater - cash is always an issue!

Cheers again,

Stu

Archived