Opening lick to The Clash's Pressure Drop

voneville

• Members

Anyone know if that's Joe or Mick playing that part? I always assumed that Mick played most of the lead, but the tone, to me, sounds more like Joes. It's on my mind because I hear it on the TV like 20 times a day now. I don't watch TV, but there always seems to be one on in the house.

I love the song, but it really sucks they're using that tune to sell Nissan's. Not sure if Joe would have been okay with that in life. It sure seems like The Clash's tunes are for sale to the highest bidder now. I know "being corparate" was a major source of contention between Mick and Joe.

• Members

Anyone know if that's Joe or Mick playing that part? I always assumed that Mick played most of the lead, but the tone, to me, sounds more like Joes. It's on my mind because I hear it on the TV like 20 times a day now. I don't watch TV, but there always seems to be one on in the house.

I love the song, but it really sucks they're using that tune to sell Nissan's. Not sure if Joe would have been okay with that in life. It sure seems like The Clash's tunes are for sale to the highest bidder now. I know "being corparate" was a major source of contention between Mick and Joe.

Which part? The rhythm or lead? It's a two-part intro, so I'm gonna say both.

I'd say the opening riff is Joe (as he'd say "I can hack in there when I need to.."), the kinda soaring lead bit that comes in about the third measure is obviously Mick (see "Complete Control").

• Members

It's Mick. He used a Les Paul Junior Double cut. Joe used a Tele and it was for playing rhythm so his tone was usually a chimey, straight forward clean. He was also a lefty playing a right handed guitar which is why his skills were limited to strumming hence his stage name, "Joe Strummer."

• Members
really? Clash in commercials? they didn't even write that song
:(

I only watch My Name is Earl, so I miss a lot of stuff that's worth missing

I like Izzy Stradlin's version a lot, too

+1 JJ, Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds did a damn good version. that cd got stolen from my truck, I'll have to track down another. Good cd.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

It's Mick. He used a Les Paul Junior Double cut. Joe used a Tele and it was for playing rhythm so his tone was usually a chimey, straight forward clean. He was also a lefty playing a right handed guitar which is why his skills were limited to strumming hence his stage name, "Joe Strummer."

That explains the razor like tone for sure.

• Members

He was also a lefty playing a right handed guitar which is why his skills were limited to strumming hence his stage name, "Joe Strummer."

Other lefties playing right-handed: Gary Moore, Wilko Johnson, Mark Knopfler. Also limited to strumming?

Joe: 'I only hit all six strings ... or none.'

• Members

That wouldn't be the first time The Clash have allowed one of their songs to be used on an advert, 'Should I stay or should I go' was used on a Levi's advert years ago, while Joe was still alive, supposedly he bought a Cadillac with the proceeds. Mick's playing always sounded a bit more confident to me than Joe's, so I would guess the opening riff is probably Joe.

Archived