CD Recommendations - for a baby boomer - what have you been listening too?

GAS Man

• Members

Someone else mentioned it as well, but I spin The Deep End Vol 1 almost everyday. "Beautifully Broken" sends chills up and down my spine every time I hear it. The whole CD smokes though!

Good. That's the CD I ended up ordering.

I was going for > $25 for free shipping. I wanted to get Dick Dale's Tribal Thunder (and it was only $6.99) and Dylan's '66 Live Bootleg Concert (where he went electric :eek:) and Gov't Mule Deep End Vol 1 put me over the $25. I was buying from www.tower.com and they seem to have some of the best prices I've seen lately. I was a devote' to www.deepdiscount.com which offers free shipping on all orders, but some of the stuff is a lot cheaper at Tower.

Thanks guys for the other recommendations. I'm taking notes and catching YouTube vids on the other recommendations as well.

:wave:

• Members

Let me know how you like the Tribal Thunder CD. I'm a Dick Dale fan too. I play in a surf band with some guys at work, we have a great time!

I recently bought a lot of modern surf. Started with a sampler then picked up most everything by Los Straitjackets, some stuff by Astromen, Aqua Velvets, Nomads, and finally everything by The Mermen. The Mermen's stuff is excellent.

• Members

I'm looking at ordering Dylan's '66 Royal Albert Hall Live (the one where he went electric
:eek:
) and Dick Dale's Tribal Thunder ($6.99
:D
).

Are you looking at the Bootleg Series Dylan? That's the record that finally got me to dig him. I never really understood what he was about until someone gave me that cd (it's the one with him acoustic on one disc and electric on the other - complete with the fool yelling "Judas!"). My favorite Dylan is Blood On the Tracks, but that collection is a close second.

Any Dick Dale record is great, but Tribal Thunder and the ones that've come since are just ridiculously amazing. They are a bit same-y sounding, but Tribal Thunder is def. the place to start with the later stuff. You can just smell his pick melting -

In a similar vein (not as intense) are Los Straightjackets. They've never released a dud (I'm not as much of a fan of their vocal stuff (even though Big Sandy is cool as hell with his own group) -

If you haven't, check them out - For that matter, check out Big Sandy and The (His) Fly-Rite Boys. Classy.

• Members

This weeks playlist.

Sarah McLachlan Afterglow Live

Gov't Mule Life Before Insanity

Radiohead In Rainbows

John 5 The Devil Knows My Name

Thomas Blug 21st Century Guitar

Thomas Blug Beauty of Simplicity

Eric Bachmann To the Races

Buddy Guy Skin Deep

• Members

I've been listening to a lot of Magic Sam lately. If you don't have West Side Soul, get it

[YouTube]b2II5LwLDyQ[/YouTube]

I've been reading a Black Sabbath biography (Doom Let Loose), and I recently picked up Vol 4 and Heaven & Hell. Those have been getting a lot of play time.

For newer music, Lucinda Williams' new album Little Honey is fantastic, and you can't go wrong w/ Joe Bonamassa.

• Members

I downloaded 'Flowers of Evil", Mountain's last album with the original members, off i-tunes. Somehow I missed it in it's day.If you're a Leslie West fan, this album has some good stuff. There's an excellent live track where Leslie and the band go off for awhile. Leslie's tone and touch are essential.

• Members

I've been reading a Black Sabbath biography (Doom Let Loose), and I recently picked up Vol 4 and Heaven & Hell. Those have been getting a lot of play time.

For newer music, Lucinda Williams' new album Little Honey is fantastic, and you can't go wrong w/ Joe Bonamassa.

Earl Hooker is NO-JOKE either.

Archived