What has the most affect on tone?

Guitin Better

• Members

As far as quality tonez per dollar, a good, simple tube amp will do you well. I, for one, suggest a Peavey Classic 30. Ditch the RP50 from your performance rig and plug straight in - your tone options will be a little more limited, but better a few good ones than a legion of {censored}. Plus, playing straight in will force you to focus on your playing instead of crutching on effects.

• Members

I wouldn'y buy anything with the name crate on it if I were you

I own a V18 which I love. It's a nice amp in its own rite, and was a steal at $119 bucks, for a tube amp. No, it's not a marshall 1974x. It's alright for getting standard brit rock sounds, with some EQ and good playing, it can do the who, AC/DC and the like.

The V series is pretty damn good. It's selling cheap because people lie you cna't trust crate.

Here,

Not my tracks, but they use a V18(stock, btw, no mods):

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandid=845180&content=music

• Members
I own a V18 which I love. It's a nice amp in its own rite, and was a steal at $119 bucks, for a tube amp. No, it's not a marshall 1974x. It's alright for getting standard brit rock sounds, with some EQ and good playing, it can do the who, AC/DC and the like.

The V series is pretty damn good. It's selling cheap because people lie you cna't trust crate.

Here,

Not my tracks, but they use a V18(stock, btw, no mods):

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandid=845180&content=music

Trust has nothing to do with it.I think they're {censored} so I don't buy them.Never heard one that sounds good to me.You can have every one of 'em.;)

• Members

Your post is separating "tone" from the the "player".................................when the two parts are inseparable. A great rig will not make a bad player
sound
(tone) good. Regardless of the rig, it is up to the player to play.............and get that tone.

It's not a karaoke machine...............................................what you put in is what you get out.

Great gear just makes good players sound better.............................and brings out the the shortcomings in other players.

"Tone" is not about gear
. It's about the player...............................there is no great tone without good playing.

A rank beginner playing a '59 Les Paul through a Dumble flailing and chopping away at
Smoke on the Water
has great tone?

I think not.

I STRONGLY disagree. A player = skill, Tone= sound. Tone is a function of the vessel (guitar/wood) electrical signals and amplification. A player has no effect on those.

Two completely different things.

Archived