Tell me about single coils...

mparsons

• Members

I've got my LTD MH-103 kicking around, and it plays and sounds pretty good. But the pickups and electronics are pretty bad, so I'm going to replace them.

Pretty sure I'll get a DiMarzio Evolution for the bridge.

What are some excellent single coils for the neck and middle? I don't particularly want humbucker/single coils, since I already have those on my other guitars.

I'm mainly looking for excellent clean and lead sound. I suppose you could just list your favorite single coils and what it is you like about them.

• Members

Come on help a noob out! :D

More info:

Basswood body, maple neck, maple fretboard. I like a really shimmery, crystal clear clean. As far as overdrive goes, something like YJM or some Wintersun leads would be great.

I know the obvious choice then is the YJM neck, but what middle?!

• Members

I like the sound you are getting on your recordings.

You might want to consider some Duncan Hot Rails for the mid/neck.

And don't bother with the Fralin/lollar boutiquie stuff unless you are going alt country sometime soon.

Thanks! The clean guitars on my recordings are my Edwards ( ash body, maple neck, ebony fretboard ) with EMG 89s coil split ( so SAs ). I really liked the tone, but I don't think I want to go active again.

I'll look into the hot rails, but I'm not really interested in a "mini humbucker" tone. I've got the hot, fat sound covered with my other guitars, and I'm looking for the other end of the spectrum with this.

Again, thanks for the help!

• Members

I looked at a pic of your guitar and judging by the pickup mounting it looks as though Strat type pickups would fit (though you'd have to check the screw spacing to be sure) the official Fender Strat pickups will give you very nice cleans, but I don't know if you can buy them individually, I know SD do Vintage staggered pickups for Strats too, though I've never used them. You might also have to think about output matching there too unless you want a big volume drop/increase every time you switch to them.

• Members

If you're looking for bang for the buck, you can't go wrong taking a look at some GFS pups.

I adore my 70's Greybottom overwound set in my Strat. In a basswood guitar they'd probably have a darker tone.. but you can get some amazing cleans out of them and when driven, they sound really, really damn good.

I have also heard good things about EMG's Fat Strat style set, which has two of their single coils and then an 81 or 85. SA/SA/85 set. I've been pondering trying it out, but I use my Strat for more classic or country stuff, so the GFS pickups are probably the best fit right now.

Archived