Laptop failure--last gasp before I take it to the shop

Magpel

• Members

My wife was working on my son's laptop when it froze.

She rebooted, which we have to do by unplugging and removing the battery,

And after the initial Windows screen, it started running CHKDSK and reporting a "dirty volume."

For a while, it would ONLY run CHKDSK on startup and never get back to Windows.

Then that stopped, and I'd get that screen on startup you often get after a crash, asking you how you'd like to start Windows (safe mode, last good conifiguration, etc.). None of these options works--just as it seems ready to open Windows, we get a message that the upnpmgr.dll is missing.

I've tried to run windows recovery console but I can't because I don't have an administrators password on this machine. I don't recall ever selecting one either...

I can't do a "dirty re-install" because my XP CD is an upgrade CD and doesn't offer that option.

All I really want to do at this point is save some of his files, especially his precious iTunes folder, which has not been back up lately.

If you see anything in this complaint that you recognize, well, all help appreciated and all hail marys will be attempted...

• Members

My wife was working on my son's laptop when it froze.

She rebooted, which we have to do by unplugging and removing the battery,

And after the initial Windows screen, it started running CHKDSK and reporting a "dirty volume."

For a while, it would ONLY run CHKDSK on startup and never get back to Windows.

Then that stopped, and I'd get that screen on startup you often get after a crash, asking you how you'd like to start Windows (safe mode, last good conifiguration, etc.). None of these options works--just as it seems ready to open Windows, we get a message that the upnpmgr.dll is missing.

I've tried to run windows recovery console but I can't because I don't have an administrators password on this machine. I don't recall ever selecting one either...

I can't do a "dirty re-install" because my XP CD is an upgrade CD and doesn't offer that option.

All I really want to do at this point is save some of his files, especially his precious iTunes folder, which has not been back up lately.

If you see anything in this complaint that you recognize, well, all help appreciated and all hail marys will be attempted...

uMpnpmgr.dll is a library that manages hardware, I believe

depending on how comfortable you are with computer fixing, check out the solution at the bottom of this page:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=120605&SiteID=1

• Members

SpinRite is cool, and told me the drive is healthy. Hosed OS--been misbehaving for some time. Complete OS reinstall did the trick, per usual.

2 funny things about that: I finally did get Windowns to open--albeit very slowly and a highly compromised Windows. No devices or ports worked--no Internet, no detection of USB devices, no CD burning. The main thing I was concerned about was my son's fairly large iTunes library, and oddly, even though Nero wouldn't open and I couldn't even use the "send to" or drag and drop CD burning built into XP, iTunes' build in "backup to disc" function DID work, so I was able to back up the library afterall. That cleared the way for a very desirable and long overdue OS reinstall. So thansk to that little bit of "Apple Magic" inside the PC that allowed me to save his tunes without taking it to the shop. ;)

The other funny thing: in my recent experience, I haven't had to worry about collecting all current device drivers before an OS reinstall, 'cause Windows supplies enough to get everything up and running, and then, once I have the Internet, getting audio or wireless card drivers is a snap...

..But this time I was unpleasantly surprised to find that after I reinstalled Windows, nothing worked--not ethernet even, nothing except the hard drive, keyboard, mouse, and a pretty crudely functional video. In Device Manager, all the devices had the yellow question mark, and none was identified by brand name or function. Just, you know "PCI card," "drivers not installed."

So I went to the Dell site on my computer and had to filter through an awful lot of driver downloads, 'cause even with my service tag they were none too sure which wireless card and so on was actually in there. And i Have no documentation or software for this system. It was a refurb from eBay.

Finally got it sorted, re-imported his iTune lib, and my son woke up today to a lean mean screaming laptop that runs much better than it ever did when it had all that "Dell Media Center" gunk saddling it.

It was a long night for me, though. Hey boy, who loves ya?

Archived