Home Recording, Audacity?

Rob14

• Members

I'm finaly going to try recording to my PC, I think I'll actualy have the time to get into it over the coming months. I was looking at Audacity as a few sites have recomended it, but was wondering if anyone here has experience with it, good or bad, or would recommend something else?

To start with I only want to put down song ideas, or build up some songs of maybe 4-5 instrument tracks and a vocal.

• Members

I'm finaly going to try recording to my PC, I think I'll actualy have the time to get into it over the coming months. I was looking at Audacity as a few sites have recomended it, but was wondering if anyone here has experience with it, good or bad, or would recommend something else?

To start with I only want to put down song ideas, or build up some songs of maybe 4-5 instrument tracks and a vocal.

Perfect for what you're looking to accomplish. And it is free, so why not try it for a couple of weeks?

• Members

Perfect for what you're looking to accomplish. And it is free, so why not try it for a couple of weeks?

Thanks, It looked OK, but as I'm starting from a zero knowledge base, I though it was worth asking.

• Members

Thanks, It looked OK, but as I'm starting from a zero knowledge base, I though it was worth asking.

No worries. Tis pretty simple to use...select a track, hit record, and go....need a new track? just add one.

For starters there is no real need to add the VST compatibility - most the effects available there are either esoteric versions of the effects that come with it standard or are refinements. For the first couple weeks you won't miss 'em.

• Members

Audacity is great, especially for just recording. If you want to get deeper, Reaper is a great digitial audio work station. Not free, but it's non expiring uncrippled shareware, and only costs $50 when you decide to pay for it. Reaper has better control over EQ, tempo and time stretching, supports acidized wave files and most plugins and works as a midi sequencer.

• Members

Audacity is great, especially for just recording. If you want to get deeper, Reaper is a great digitial audio work station. Not free, but it's non expiring uncrippled shareware, and only costs $50 when you decide to pay for it. Reaper has better control over EQ, tempo and time stretching, supports acidized wave files and most plugins and works as a midi sequencer.

I'd go straight to Reaper.

• Members

I use both....Reaper is good for the VST effects and organizing songs....Audacity , for me, is better if I have to match levels, add wav files, boost/cut only parts and not whole tracks, lining up tracks timing-wise. It is more of a visual interface. You can line things up visually and then with your ears.

• Members

Audacity is more of an audio editor; to edit completed stereo/mono tracks (i.e. matching level, fades, and other "mastering step" edits) rather than a true multi-tracking application to allow easy recording of multiple trackswhich can be mixed together.

If you're looking to do multitrack recording of any kind, I would have to give a big +1 to REAPER. It rocks, is stable & reliable, and has some very nice features not found on many other DAW applications (vari-speed, etc.), but it does cost money.

However, if you're broke and just fooling around and never wish to pay for the software, another multitracker option is "KRISTAL AUDIO ENGINE" which can be found here:

KRISTAL DOWNLOAD

KRISTAL INFORMATION

Good luck!

-mr moon

Archived