Do I need to ground the conductive copper tape from Stew Mac?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I have heard various different things on shielding a guitar. I know you have to ground the foil normally when you want to shield a guitar, but I think Doctor Morbious said that the conductive copper tape from stew mac doesn't need to be grounded?

If you guys can let me know that would be great! Thanks guys!

• Members

If the tape is in contact with anything else that's grounded (like a pot casing) then it's already grounded.

The conductive tape from Stew Mac is special because of it's unique properties, if it wasn't any different than regular copper tape no one would use it.

The copper is conductive, the adhesive is conductive. You don't have to solder overlap points, you can just cut and paste it where ever you need it. Miss a little spot, just cut a tiny piece and stick it there, the whole thing is electrically continuous. That's why it's so neat. :cool:

I personally might run all grounds to the shield rather than the back of a pot so as to avoid possibly frying the pot, but I wouldn't do multiple grounds running all over the place. You can get some ground loops going with that sort of thing.

Archived