Putting a Champion 600 through an external cab?

Mr Songwriter

• Members

blackheart makes a 1x10 cab.

Ah right, I've just Googled that: the Killer Ant, as far as I can tell it only appears to be available in with a 16 ohm speaker, guess I could swop it.

i think the champ needs an 8ohm load though.

Mine says "4 Ohm min" on the back (and also in the spec) guess they could have changed it though.

• Members

Mine says "4 Ohm min" on the back (and also in the spec) guess they could have changed it though.

That's right. Matching impedance on amp and cabs DOES give you slightly clearer tone, however, the rule for mismatching impedances is:

Amp Impedance

Amp Impedance > Cab Impedance = Broken Amp. IIRC, it might blow your tubes and/or output transformer.

• Members

Ah right, I've just Googled that: the Killer Ant, as far as I can tell it only appears to be available in with a 16 ohm speaker, guess I could swop it.

ah, yeah. im going by the stock speaker, which is 8.

• Members

That's right. Matching impedance on amp and cabs DOES give you slightly clearer tone, however, the rule for mismatching impedances is:

Amp Impedance Amp Impedance > Cab Impedance = Broken Amp. IIRC, it might blow your tubes and/or output transformer.

Great, that means I should be OK with the Little Ant cab, though a 4 ohm amp with a 16 ohm cab does sound like quite a big mismatch. I'lll try running it through my Celestion 70/80 first (12" and 8 Ohms) to see what it's like.

Archived