Which Yamaha Pacifica: PAC012 or PAC112?

GuitarVlog

• Members

I would prefer the 112 also. Personally, I'd not be bothered about the coil tap.... I dislike HSS configuration so I'd be dropping a HB sized p90 in the bridge, but the coiltap featuree might be ice for a beginner - give them a bit of an idea as to what sound they prefer, and hopefully dispell for them the persistent myth that you "need" a hb in the bridge of a Strat type to play rock.

Does anyone know how many awards the PAC112 has won from different guitar magazines and other organisations? Recently, the 112 is starting to have some serious competition (Xaviere, for example) but at one point it was the only really well made, gigable cheapo on the market. I believe that is why Yamaha has upgraded it with better pups, electronics, etc. to make it still "the best entry level guitar" on the market like it was for a good while.

Yamaha certainly forced up overall quality at that end of the market, IMO. I believe the original 112 was what push the likes of Squier etc to go with solid wood bodies in place of ply, and upgrade their overall quality. (I always liked Squier, but I really think they improved a lot in the 90s over the run of the mill from earlier on). Their stronger competition over here, alongside Squier, is Vintage. Vintage make great guitars - I'd have one of their Strat types if onlyh they did maple boards on 'em. I would be over the moon about the Squier Classic vibes, but no lefties, so no dice for me.

• Members

All Pacificas have solid wood bodies. 012 has agathis, rather than the alder of the 112 and 112v. The humbucker is different from the 012(slug poles) and 112(adjustable poles), while the 112v is upgraded to their alnico magnet model with added coil splitting feature. 112v has cast block saddles instead of stamped. 012 and 012 dlx have crap tuners. 112 and 112v have better die cast ones. All of the above are made in Indonesia.

Bottom line, ANY of them would be good starters. They are pretty consistent, and have a limited lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. Yamaha is super easy to deal with if you do end up with a problem. In my opinion, I would skip the 012 in favor of either of the others just for the tuner upgrade.

I guess I'm lucky with the tuners, then. Either mine were upgraded before I got the guitar, or I just got a good set. I haven't had any problems with them...

• Members

Okay folks, I don't know quite what to make of this.

I just got off the phone with Yamaha and the rep there told me that the 012 and 112J (that's a "J" at the end and not a "V") are basically the same guitar and that the only difference are the woods. Tuners, pups and all other hardware are the same.

:eek:

It's only with the 112V that the non-wood components get upgraded. That's where you get better pick-ups, better tuners and so on.

So between the PAC012 and the PAC112J, it's really a debate on what wood you want for the body: Agathis on the 012 or Alder on the 112J.

:facepalm:

• 9 years later...

Archived