Emulating this tone

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I love this guitar tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBV9Bc8ngVg

To get close to this tone I would need a strat or a good imitation, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders or something similar, and high powered Marshall tube amp.

Know what effects would I want to use? Am I right in thinking a distortion/overdrive pedal and maybe a compressor sustainer?

• Members

I love this guitar tone:

To get close to this tone I would need a strat or a good imitation, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders or something similar, and high powered Marshall tube amp.

Know what effects would I want to use? Am I right in thinking a distortion/overdrive pedal and maybe a compressor sustainer?

Why would you need to use effects? I doubt Blackmore used any pedals at all. The amp is the is the important factor. You may find a boost helpful for leads but otherwise it sounds like guitar->amp.

• Members

I've seen Blackmore and Malmsteen both play a guitar into a single boost pedal into an amp and get that tone no problem. Malmsteen's early neck lead tone is pretty similar this tone and they achieve it completely differently. I'm assuming Ritchie is running a relatively high output Quarter Pounder into an ENGL. Malmsteen would get a very similar tone with a super low output HS3 or YJM into a DOD 250 boost into a Marshall Plexi.

I think the secret is just enough gain to take away the edge of being clean, but without getting NEARLY as gainy as most people think. Then practice the hell out of angling your pick so there is minimal attack so it sounds like a violin.

• Members

When Blackmore was using the Marshall Major (200W), he ran his guitar through an old reel to reel tape recorder before going into the amp. I can't see what he's using in the video, but I know that the Marshall Major was a very loud and clean sounding amp.

• Members

When Blackmore was using the Marshall Major (200W), he ran his guitar through an old reel to reel tape recorder before going into the amp. I can't see what he's using in the video, but I know that the Marshall Major was a very loud and clean sounding amp.

The recording preamp of the reel to reel recorder acted like a boost or

overdrive prior to those effects existing.

There are a lot better devices currently for this purpose of course today.

• Members
Why would you need to use effects? I doubt Blackmore used any pedals at all. The amp is the is the important factor. You may find a boost helpful for leads but otherwise it sounds like guitar->amp.

are you hard of hearing or just new to this?
:poke: :wave::p
That clip was so processed sounding. . .

Archived