1 of the 3 preamps tubes keeps going out like it's loose - WASSUP?

GAS Man

• Members

I'm not amp tech savvy -

I lose output. Either it doesn't start up, or goes out as I'm playing.

But what I've determined is that the middle of the 3 preamp tubes will go out. I'll give it a pushing in wiggle, and it will light back up again and be fine. This seems to happen now at least every other day.

How F'd am I going to be on this deal?

Does that sound like a defect in the tube itself, or is something wrong with the socket it plugs into??

Bues Junior NOS FWIW

Thanks

• Members

Probably a dirty socket. Get some contact cleaner and an old tube. With the amp OFF and unplugged, spray the pins of the tube with the contact cleaner, then insert in the socket and remove a bunch of times. Let dry, then insert your good tube.

Hopefully that cures the problem. If that's not it, it could be a loose socket, which would need to be re-tensioned. If you're not up on that, have a tech do it. Or it could be a bad solder joint on one of the sockets. Again, fix yourself or have a tech do it.

• Members

Thanks for the tips. It's a pretty new amp, about 5 months maybe, so I'm guessing the cleaning might not do the trick alone. But thanks. It gives me food for thought. Sounds like in any case it shouldn't be too tough of a fix. I'd imagine it's probably covered by warranty, but finding a authorized center nearby may be another trick in of itself.

:wave:

Archived