Question about decaying notes on a strat

nightwatchman

• Members

Hi

i would like to elicit the help of some of you more experienced players.

I recently bought a new american standard strat, and after playing it for a few days i noticed that at least 5 notes, a couple on the D string 5th and 6th frets, and G string 14th fret, 15th fret, as well as a few other spots.

It is not frets, everything is set up right, and with high action, it's obviously a resonance issue tried various truss rod settings, bridge angle etc..

The notes don't decay too sharply, but they do not sustain for long.

My question is this, is this normal, and at what point would you take the guitar back and choose another one?

Thanks for your advice.

nw

• Members

Sustaining notes is probably my biggest gripe about Strats. I've owned several Strats in my life time and they all exhibit some sort of sustaining problems. But do not fear, there are things you can do to remedy the situation. First and for most, install graphtech saddles and nut. That'll boost your sustain considerably. Also try other brand of strings. I use D'addario's and they ring loud and clear. You may also try different aftermarket pickups.

• Members

I have a 98 Am Std strat and it also has a few areas on the neck that are less resonant than the rest of the neck. They are about the same areas as what you describe. I don't believe it is a nut, bridge, pickup, or strings issue. It's the basic vibrational characteristics of the guitar itelf. Jazz basses are notorious for this - they all have a dead area to some extent on the G string in the middle of the neck. You can find some that are less dead than others, but they all have it. I'd suggest trying a couple of other strats and see if you feel like they are significantly better than the one you have. I picked the best one out of 5 when I bought mine, but it still has those slightly less resonant areas.

• Members

I have a 98 Am Std strat and it also has a few areas on the neck that are less resonant than the rest of the neck. They are about the same areas as what you describe. I don't believe it is a nut, bridge, pickup, or strings issue. It's the basic vibrational characteristics of the guitar itelf. Jazz basses are notorious for this - they all have a dead area to some extent on the G string in the middle of the neck. You can find some that are less dead than others, but they all have it. I'd suggest trying a couple of other strats and see if you feel like they are significantly better than the one you have. I picked the best one out of 5 when I bought mine, but it still has those slightly less resonant areas.

I believe you have addressed it.

I will try a few things that the other guys here suggested, and just see if anything helps.

Thanks all of you.

nw

• Members

These "wolf tones" (google it) are part of the strat make up. Try adjusting the trem springs (take one off and tighten the others/vice versa); change string gauge/type; tighten the neck screws ...

Some changes will usually make some change, but probably never get rid of it completely.

• Moderators

These "wolf tones" (google it) are part of the strat make up. Try adjusting the trem springs (take one off and tighten the others/vice versa); change string gauge/type; tighten the neck screws ...

Some changes will usually make some change, but probably never get rid of it completely.

Wolf tones are not part of the "Strat makeup".

The are usually associated with instruments that are bowed and are a result of artifical overtones and produce a sort of howling, hence the name. Cellos and family members are noted for it. The OP is talking about dead spots:)

• Members

Wolf tones are not part of the "Strat makeup".

The are usually associated with instruments that are bowed and are a result of artifical overtones and produce a sort of howling, hence the name. Cellos and family members are noted for it. The OP is talking about dead spots:)

They are more prominent on bowed instruments, but occur on all stringed instruments and some woodwind. Of the electric guitars, strats seem to be most prone.

They don't really manifest themselves as howling, usually just some notes seem brighter and others deader. It is just down to sympathetic resonances either cancelling or enhancing certain notes.

• Members

Every guitar has natural resonance points where some notes sustain well and others where the natural resonances seem to cancel each other, resulting in faster decay. You can try things like different saddles, trem blocks, nuts, or even different strings. They may make a difference.

Archived