birds as pets

dahkter

• Members

W

One important thing to remember is those beaks can open beer cans or take off a finger. .

ain't that the truth I gave Merlin the psychotic Blue front a little copper bell - he would happilly ring it all day

One day he flew up into the rafters (abt 12 feet) so I had the bright idea "I know, I'll coax him down with his bell"

so I pick up his (let's make that clear...HIS) bell. Well, Merlin didn't like that idea and, right after flying down I could feel beak touch beak..through my upper lip

• Members

Well, for my two cents....I'm far too selfish to take care of anything. But I did birdsit a few times about 15 years ago (then they left Portland and I never saw Bogey again.) But I could certainly understand the attraction to birds (and well, to dogs....but that's another story!!) Bogey was lovable and smart....could say about 15 words. Would perch on your shoulder and nibble your ear. I miss that bird!! On the other hand....not sure I could deal with 30 years of him. But if that is your thing, a bird would be fun!!

• Members

My friends just bought a big cage containing two parakeets. They are cute. They don't talk but they do whistle and bicker and squeak and flutter and make all sorts of noises...

Putting their canvas cover over their cage makes 'em shaddap.

In my house, I have a 5' tall waterfall which makes a splashing sound... much more pleasant to the ear.

I have a couple of Parakeets. They live in a cage that is big enough for flight. They live in the cage when I am not home to watch them and they are free when I am going to be in the room with them ( I also have cats.) Flying is essential to the health of birds. Walking is not the preffered method of getting around.

If you do get a bird, the best advice that I can give to you is to make sure that they have different sized perches in the cage. This helps with the strength of the birds feet. Natural branches are great for this.

They also love fruit and veggies, mine love onion, celery, lettuce, cranberries, cherries and orange.

Birds are very sensitive to smells like candles and chemical cleaners...this is especially true of smaller birds. They can die from exposure to some.

• Members

guy I knew at karate class had a parrot; African Grey maybe? One day he went to give it a kiss. Bird wasn't in the mood. Bit his lower lip clean through for about 3/4 of an inch...! Holy crap. Many stitches and soft food for a few weeks.

I think it would be cool to have one, but, like any pet, dog, cat, etc., should not be taken lightly.

• Members

They also love fruit and veggies, mine love onion, celery, lettuce, cranberries, cherries and orange.

Guitzilla, I've always been told that along with chocolate and avocado that you shouldn't feed your bird lettuce. I could be wrong, I'll google it.

• Members

- has anyone here (or have any of your acquaintances) owned a cockatoo or simliar large bird

I've had birds continuously for over 30 years - what do you want to know? My screen name is even a nod to birds.

- I've been told they are very intelligent and live for sixty years, is this true

True on both counts, but depends on the species. A Goffin will live a few less years then an Umbrella.

- pluses or minuses?

Plusses:

Cockatoos are beautiful, very devoted (get attached) and very loving. They are very gentle. Like all parrots they can be goofballs (hilariously funny). They are long-lived. They don't have as flashy of color as macaws, conures, or parrots, but they have their own serene dignity, similar to African Greys. Like all pet birds, they can enrich your life in their own unique way.

Great pets for those allergic to cats or dogs.

They can learn to speak and whistle or sing. In your language. It's like having a bratty 3 year old. They are tons of fun!

They are virtually odorless.

They do not get fleas.

They do not have the salmonella hazard that dogs and lizards have.

Minuses:

Powder down. They will leave white dust on everything. Be prepared to dust.

Can be loud. Think foghorn at 6 am loud, or "shatter a wine glass" shrill but at about 95 dB. The larger toos can be loud enough to get you evicted from an apartment or condo if you have thin walls. Need a quieter pet? No problem, get a cockatiel! They are smaller relatives of cockatoos "cockatoo personality, small size".

The cage and toys will be expensive. The cage will be heavy, and will take up a large area of the bird's room. You might also want a playstand, which is also large, and heavy, and very expensive.

All birds are kind of messy in that you'll find seed shells, pellet bits, feathers, and chewed up toys all around their cage. It is easy to clean up, like the powder down.

All birds bite, no matter the species. Their beaks are their hands, mouths, and defensive weapons. It's a matter of "how much bite you can take", and how often. Some bite more then others and many can be trained not to bite hard enough to hurt you.

Can chew through a 2x4 in a couple hours. See ''likes expensive toys'' above.

If angered, the larger ones can break your finger. They do not "take off your finger". But they can break it, or rip it wide open; they can also do serious damage to your ears or nose if you're fool enough to put them on your shoulder when they are excited. The smaller ones can take your fingernail off, but again they will not remove your finger. We leave the finger removals and arm breaking to the Hyacinth macaws :). In all the years I have had birds I have never had *any* of this happen.

They need a lot of attention. Not a good choice for 8-5 working family unless the bird is used to getting attention before or after the workday.

They do need special food in addition to their pellets/seed mix. You can cook them "birdy pasta", rice and carrots, or whatever. They love fruits and veggies. They also love to throw their fruits and veggies. See "messy" above.

If your wife has specific questions, feel free to PM me. I'd love to help. I've had many species of parrots, and also kept finches, quail, pigeons, and pheasants.

• Members

I read this post this morning, but really didn't have much to say so I didn't post. While browsing Craig's List in the Kansas City area a few moments ago, I noticed an ad for a Cockatoo. Craig's List does not allow commercial sales of pets, so I would guess that this bird is free or would be available for a small rehoming fee if anything. If any of you bird lovers are interested in pursuing it, here's the link. The ad says that it's a Moluccan Cockatoo; the largest of their species.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pet/877654435.html

126148130ZZZZZZZZZ8ad4aee14bf78151d89.jp

My mother used to keep a pair of Austrian Finch birds and my sister kept Cockatiels. Captive birds make a LOT of messes; even the smaller ones.

• Members

sorry to bump up the bird thread but this afternoon I was sitting on my veranda /porch watching the huge clouds come in as it's thunderstorm time where I live. These are the clouds that form huge canyons as they arch up into the heavens.

well guess who was there - high up in the highest formation was a lone wedgy practicing - the wedge-tailed eagle, our version of your bald eagle and just as big. He was cruising along, flying in and out of the huge formations, if he looked down he would have seen cloud. There are no lizards or bandicoots up there - it must be purely for fun or..............

The male eagle leads his female up into the clouds, the higher he can take her, the better, when he's at the peak height they come together and copulate as they free fall. :D now isn't that beautiful - we think some dude with a reverse baseball cap, digititis and a few catch phrases is sexy - the bird wins IMO :)

Archived