I need a program to create distortion

danuniversal

• Members

Or directly from a microphone, but not a guitar plug.

Here's another one that is really good, and free like the others, called FreeAmp3.5:

http://frettedsynth.home.att.net/

The way you would use all of these is to add them as an effect to the clean guitar that you have previously recorded. They are all VST effects, I believe, so they should work with mosts hosts (i.e. SONAR, PT, CUBASE, REAPER, etc.).

Good luck!

-mr moon

• Members

I need a computer program to create distortion from a recorded clean electric guitar.

The distortion should be AFTER the clean electric guitar get recorded.

Windows or Linux, preferible windows, because I have some internet problems on linux.

Thanks.

No distortion program will create 100% tube distortion. You might link the performance track into a tube/SS amp, and capture the amplified signal with a good mic.

This is a good old practice. Check Recording Forum for more advice.

• Members

Does audacity host VST?

Yes, but not as well as Reaper. Reaper isn't actually free, if you like you're supposed to pay for it, but it is already uncrippled to begin with.

I recommend the Camel plugins mentioned above. I also think Reaper comes with plugins already that do this. And the fretted synth plugin works well too.

Audacity is really good at wave recording and manipulation, but Reaper shines at the plugins.

• Members

An even simpler & much easier to use FREE (for personal use) multitrack recorder is called "Kristal Audio Engine" and may be a better place for you to start than with REAPER, which is hugely powerful and has many options that may confuse someone just starting out with recording & editing audio.

Kristal main page (link)

Kristal "details" page

I think Kristal would be a great place for you to begin the adventure!

-mr moon

• Members

Thanks to everyone.

I downloaded all, and tried.

But the sound was not really fantastic, and they are too fuzzy.

The only one I have not tried was the FreeAmp.

Also I searched in the net more VST plugins, and I found many more, but I did not like it.

And I found one called GTR Solo, and it is the more acceptable of all.

They do not have a very euphonic tone.

But, I will tell you what I am looking for.

I am using a stratocaster. And I am trying to get a sound like that of "The lemon song" of Led Zeppelin, "Play the Game" of Queen, and "World of Pain" of cream.

I understand that get quality tones it's hard, and that I never going to have exactly the same sound; but I am not looking copies of sound, I just want one that is similar to that.

• Members

Maybe it's not the distortion part that isn't getting the sound for you. Try adding some other VST's. I almost always use the Kjaerhus Audio Phaser to add a little dimension to tracks. I love the Old Radio preset on that, too. Try doubling the track with one set to the Old Radio.

Good free VST's at digitalfishphones, Cockos, and Jesusonic, too. There's a pretty good THD distortion. I'm not sure where I got that. FreeAmp doesn't seem to play well with other VST's for me, so I don't use it much.

• Members

Thanks to everyone.

I downloaded all, and tried.

But the sound was not really fantastic, and they are too fuzzy.

The only one I have not tried was the FreeAmp.

Now you're getting to the meat and potatoes of audio recording and beginning your adventure into mixing! Fun stuff!!

:thu:

I would suggest that you give yourself some time to *really* work with those plugs, including FreeAmp, because you really have to fine tune many of them to get just the sound you're after ...and I mean *REALLY* fine tune them!

What you will find is that you have to turn the gain WAY DOWN when working with distorted guitars, and I really mean *WAY* down!!

What can also be impacting what you're hearing is the quality of your signal path and your monitors (speakers).

What usually makes a guitar tone sound huge in a song is the *lack* of distortion (i.e. Rage Against The Machine, the guitars are minimally distorted, but they sound HUGE!), and the arrangement of the song, especially how the bass and guitar layer together and stay out of each others way in such a way as to make the other sound larger than life...

There are some great resources online to help describe all this stuff in great detail, and here's a great place to start:

The Project Studio Handbook (link)

Have fun!

-mr moon

• Members

Now you're getting to the meat and potatoes of audio recording and beginning your adventure into mixing! Fun stuff!!

I would suggest that you give yourself some time to *really* work with those plugs, including FreeAmp, because you really have to fine tune many of them to get just the sound you're after ...and I mean *REALLY* fine tune them!

What you will find is that you have to turn the gain WAY DOWN when working with distorted guitars, and I really mean *WAY* down!!

What can also be impacting what you're hearing is the quality of your signal path and your monitors (speakers).

What usually makes a guitar tone sound huge in a song is the *lack* of distortion (i.e. Rage Against The Machine, the guitars are minimally distorted, but they sound HUGE!), and the arrangement of the song, especially how the bass and guitar layer together and stay out of each others way in such a way as to make the other sound larger than life...

There are some great resources online to help describe all this stuff in great detail, and here's a great place to start:

The Project Studio Handbook (link)

Have fun!

-mr moon

Thank you, I will try that.

• Members

Everybody here is suggesting free software. I like free software too.... when it works.

Spend a little coin and get something decent like Native Instrument's Guitar Rig 3 for $99 from MF. I have an earlier version that can cook up just about any kind of electric guitar/tube amp sound I desire.

• Members

Everybody here is suggesting free software. I like free software too.... when it works.

Spend a little coin and get something decent like Native Instrument's Guitar Rig 3 for $99 from MF. I have an earlier version that can cook up just about any kind of electric guitar/tube amp sound I desire.

Do they have a demo version? Might be better to steer the OP in that direction rather than having them lay out 99 bucks on software that they may not like and would *most likely* NOT be able to return once they've installed it.

-mr moon

Archived