NPD! Sweet Fuzz.

vrm

• Members

First I'd like to thank Sandy(Nos68) for allowing me the opportunity to give one of his Pure Analog Effects Sweet Fuzz pedals a whirl.

This pedal is a vintage germanium Colorsound Mk I clone. The pedal arrived on time, in tact and very well packed (double boxed w/ styrofoam peanuts).

Sweet Fuzz features the standard controls of level, tone and drive as well as and on/off switch (it runs on a 9volt battery, no dc jack) so you can leave it on your board without draining the battery. A unique feature called "Sag" rounds out the controls is designed to simulate a dying battery.

This pedal is the exact same size as my EHX Micro POG or the same size as an MXR Phase 100.

My interest in this pedal is that lately my band has been writing more stoner rock type riffs and I was looking for a fuzz pedal to push my crunch tone more to the fuzzy realm.

My initial thoughts on the Sweet Fuzz is that it really is a sweet somewhat mild mannered fuzz, not too sharp, aggressive or scooped sounding as say a Big Muff pi or something like that.

I could dial in nice tones on the clean channel of my amps (5150 & Ampeg VL-502) but my only complaint w/ the pedal is that when going to overdrive I would have to readjust the pedal to balance out the tone and the level to match the other channel. All the controls are very responsive and have quite a bit range, but being a germanium fuzz it doesn't have a ton of volume boost and may be the reason it didn't seem to play as well w/ my crunch channel.

I also tried on my bass players rig (GK 1001RB & Trace Elliot cab) and though it didn't sound bad, the GK already has a bit of grind to it, so it didn't seem to add much. I know this pedal wasn't designed for bass but thought we'd give it a try.

All in all a very nice sounding fuzz that definitely has a vintage vibe. Although it didn't do exactly what I needed w/ my current rig, I can't blame that on the pedal as I think it was just the wrong tool for the job. Here is a link to the Pure Analog Effects page with a YouTube clip that gives a pretty good idea of the tone you can expect from this pedal.

http://www.pureanalogeffects.com/sweetfuzzvintagegermaniumfuzz.aspx

A pic as well.

2ynl02c.jpg

Archived